• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 charger front bumper alignment brackets

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
71 Charger. There are two bumper alignment brackets that bolt into the front quarters and the other end is supposed to grab a welded bolt of some sort. On the passenger side the welded thing on the actual bumper inside is gone so the bracket has nothing to grab. Is the bumper material hard to weld? Not sure what kind of metal it is. Any other suggestions? I was even thinking of drilling a hole on the underside of the bumper and putting a bolt in there to grab.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 9.27.12 AM.png

Bumpers are just steel and can be welded (grind off the chrome where you intend to weld) but welding on them will discolor the chrome if that is an issue to you.

I agree with 70Chall440. Also be aware that there is two sylyes of those brackets. Hidden headlamp cars have the welded nut on the bumper like shown above and non hidden headlamp cars have a tab that sticks out with a slot for the bracket to bolt to. If your bumper has the tabs find a pair of the straight brackets. I should have one of each and will shoot a pic when I get home in a bit.

Re-reading your post and seeing your avatar you have a concealed headlamp bumper. Yes you can weld a nut in as said above. The bolt on the underside sounds like it would work. Just make sure when your headlight doors open it clears it.

Solved, hopefully. Drilled a hole inside the bumper and put a bolt, bunch of lock washers and a nut underneath. Should hold fine and the bumper lines up on both sides now.

I agree with 70Chall440. Also be aware that there is two sylyes of those brackets. Hidden headlamp cars have the welded nut on the bumper like shown above and non hidden headlamp cars have a tab that sticks out with a slot for the bracket to bolt to. If your bumper has the tabs find a pair of the straight brackets. I should have one of each and will shoot a pic when I get home in a bit.
Incorrect, the diff bracket and attachment is due the year and not if hidden headlights or not. The tab kind is 73/74, and the other one is 71/72 no matter if hidden lights or not.

The location/shape of this bracket also makes a diff hood between 71/72 and 73/74. 71/72 hood will meet the 73/74 kind bracket so, needs a small cut underside to close safely the hood if using a 71/72 hood on to 73/74 car

As another sugestion diff to welding, you could use U or J nuts to the bumper provision to attach the bracket.

Incorrect, the diff bracket and attachment is due the year and not if hidden headlights or not. The tab kind is 73/74, and the other one is 71/72 no matter if hidden lights or not.

The location/shape of this bracket also makes a diff hood between 71/72 and 73/74. 71/72 hood will meet the 73/74 kind bracket so, needs a small cut underside to close safely the hood if using a 71/72 hood on to 73/74 car
Nacho is correct

My 72 Rallye had the tab style but it was a real late car which could explain that.

Auto Transport Service
Back