• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Fuel Vapor Canister

71charger500

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
imagesCAOWIH7U.jpgI'm in the process of de-rusting and painting small parts that have been taken off. The shields I know, will go back on...at least for looks, but There are conflicting opinions as to whether or not the vapor canister is even needed. Can anyone help? I am no mechanic and a lot of these things I come across are all new to me. If this thing can be deleted from the rebuild, how do I vent the system without spillage, as well as close the nipples off?

i use the vapor canister on my '65 coronet and '69 coronet r/t. i feel as if the return line is almost a must with todays alcohol fuels.

I'm gonna use mine. Had the splash shield powder coated. I like it :)

Attachments

• Fuel seperator.jpg
    Fuel seperator.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Fuel seperator2.jpg
    Fuel seperator2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 292
Wow, that looks nice! Is there a separate piece inside, or are the nipples just attached to that piece shown above? Is the piece above, the actual "canister"? Just curious as to what's on the other end of the nipples, on the inside. The outer edges of mine, (the flat lip with the bolt holes), has a slight gap....like it is merely sandwiched together, not "sealed"...is this normal?

I bought my 71 missing the cannister and all related hoses/shields. I don't feel like I really need to go looking for a used one so I was planning on running fuel line from the tank vents up into the left fenderwell area (or at least somewhere higher than the gas tank. The are 4 vent holes coming out of the tank. I was planning on tee-ing them into 1 near the top and clamping to a simple breather/filter (kinda like what you see on a valve cover). You can find them on summit or jegs with various size inlet ports (1/4, 3/8, etc.).

I haven't done it yet and mine isn't one the road but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work or be unsafe (as long as its higher than the tank itself).

I'd put it all back on because of the way they change the laws now adays your just beter off safe then sorry.Here in Ontario,Canada it's becoming common that the Ministry waits out side the gates of car shows checking everyones cars out.

My 72 charger has all vent lines blocked off at tank and a vented gas cap...has been that way since 91 without any trouble.

Wow, that looks nice! Is there a separate piece inside, or are the nipples just attached to that piece shown above? Is the piece above, the actual "canister"? Just curious as to what's on the other end of the nipples, on the inside. The outer edges of mine, (the flat lip with the bolt holes), has a slight gap....like it is merely sandwiched together, not "sealed"...is this normal?

I posted both ends. One has the four nipples, the other dont. There is a plate that bolts to the flat side and is visible if you look aft of the rear tire (actually part of the wheel house) on the drivers side. Its the plate that I coated because of the rocks, etc wont chip off paint (hopefully). Then there is a "L" shape that is bolted to protect the four hoses that attach to the nipples then the hoses go to the tank. Make sense? It doesnt come apart. The tank is a solid piece. Again, this is off my 71 RR

I restored mine on my 72 charger.I was told this would slim the chances of vapor lock.View attachment 129431

- - - Updated - - -

morefuel vapor in rear wheel well.covered.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

fuel vapor in rear wheel well. 2.JPGbefore the cover

- - - Updated - - -

one morebottom rear.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back