• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Petty clone on Toy Makers TV show

chargervert

Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
I was watching the Toy Maker show on Motor Trend Television and they made a clone of Richard Petty's 72 season Charger stock car out of what appears to be a 71 Charger R/T,or atleast a 71 Charger with R/T parts on it. The 72 season was the first season Richard drove a Dodge Charger,and the first year Plymouth was not the main sponsor. STP sponsorship and colors graced both his Plymouth Road Runner and Dodge Charger stock cars. He raced both Dodge and Plymouth racecars that season,before switching to the Charger for the 73 to 76 seasons. The 72 Charger stock car is often overlooked due to the 73/74 Chargers success. Petty's shop did campaign a 71 Charger race car during the 71 season,but it was driven by Buddy Baker,Richard drove only the Plymouth Road Runner for the 71 season. The Toy Maker show wasn't bad atleast they were working on a Mopar!

The show did get me rethinking selling my 72 Charger topper. Even though I have more projects than I will ever get to, this 72 Charger would make an awesome replica of this 72 Petty Charger! The body is super solid, and I would go with a modern 392 Hemi engine and a six speed manual transmission from a modern Challenger. I would use the Nascar style air cleaner that ducts into the cowl to hide the modern fuel injection system, and put some old school Hemi valve covers on it to make it look like a Nascar Hemi engine. It would be a relatively inexpensive build because I already have the car, and it needs minimal body work to get it into paint. The interior would consist of a couple racing seats and a roll bar. Exhaust with electric cutouts exiting before the wheels. The biggest expense would be the modern Hemi engine and transmission. A two tone paint job and some decals and the body would be done. I would go with the old school 5 kidney bean slotted racing wheels instead of the modern ones they used.

20220614_215019.jpg

20220509_194414.jpg

20220507_133153.jpg

Do you want an '05 5.7 Hemi with trans? I have one out of my '05 Magnum RT that was totaled at 36k miles (bought it new, it got t-boned in late '08). "Plan" is to put it in my '72 Satellite wagon, but....well, it's been sitting next to it for years now and hasn't installed itself lol. Have the whole Magnum donor as well, for harnesses, pedal, computers, etc...let me know. It's all in Maryland.

I will definitely take that into consideration. I had just sold a 2014 5.7 Hemi and transmission, before this crazy idea crossed my mind! Lol Thanks

The show did get me rethinking selling my 72 Charger topper. Even though I have more projects than I will ever get to, this 72 Charger would make an awesome replica of this 72 Petty Charger! The body is super solid, and I would go with a modern 392 Hemi engine and a six speed manual transmission from a modern Challenger. I would use the Nascar style air cleaner that ducts into the cowl to hide the modern fuel injection system, and put some old school Hemi valve covers on it to make it look like a Nascar Hemi engine. It would be a relatively inexpensive build because I already have the car, and it needs minimal body work to get it into paint. The interior would consist of a couple racing seats and a roll bar. Exhaust with electric cutouts exiting before the wheels. The biggest expense would be the modern Hemi engine and transmission. A two tone paint job and some decals and the body would be done. I would go with the old school 5 kidney bean slotted racing wheels instead of the modern ones they used.

View attachment 1309525

View attachment 1309527

View attachment 1309528
I built mine based off what nascar called boom tubes. I have it thru mufflers when I want quite or electric cutouts to be loud.

Resized_f14746880.jpeg

Resized_20210629_171444.jpeg

Resized_20210627_165522.jpeg

Those are freekin cool! I had T/A mufflers on my Charger convertible for a while,and I still have them on my 71 Challenger convertible!

vert1.jpg

chavert3.jpg

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back