• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 Charger Re-do

hemicop

Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
A friend has a '71 Charger "500" with a 383, auto, & (he says) a Dana 60. The thing's been sitting for years & from his description basically needs to be resurrecterd, cleaned-up, tuned, and possibly freshened up. I haven't seen the car yet, but he says it's equipped as an "R/T" car. While he does have its buildsheet, I'm still suspicious--- were the "500" model Chargers capable of being ordered with an "R/T" package?

In 71 Chrysler built a Charger, a Charger R/T 383, a Charger R/T 440 , a Charger 440 6 Pack ,and a Charger 426 Hemi. Post the 1st thru 7th numbers of the VIN. Then it can be broke down as to what car ii is, also if you can post the Data Plate, or fender tag, is it still on the car? Make sure the Vin on Dash matches # on radiator suport. Vin on dash should also match , the last # on the fender tags, bottom row.

Chrysler did make a Charger 500 in 1971 , I have parted two of them out, both 383 cars, One Auto (green)and the other was a 4 speed (yellow), and both had 8 3/4 rears.

Yes, check the fender tag for...

A32 4.10:1 Dana 60 Super Performance Axle Package (69-70)
A33 3.54:1 Dana 60 Track Package (69-71)
A34 4.10:1 Dana 60 Super Track Package (69-71), Light Trailer Towing Package

The dana would normally be found behind a hemi or 440 in R/T or Superbee.

Check this link out for more info on the rear ends and how to verify or recognize which rear end this car could have.

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,189.0.html

Check out this site for more fender tag info...

http://www.oldride.com/library/1971_dodge_charger.html

Soooooooooo, it's been a long time since I visited here & for good reason---------my friend is finally ready to start on his '71 project.
He had me come over yesterday & what he described as an R/T was in fact a "500" model with a 383/TF, orange with a black vinyl top & interior with console. He had the buildsheet, original invoice from his Grandfather along with some maintenience records. Overall a nice, numbers matching survivor that had last seen the street somwhere around '92-94.
Grandpa, the original owner, was smart in that he had stashed a bunch of odd, easily broken NOS parts aside to replace as the car got older. The oddball option in this thing was a cassetteplayer/recorder mounted on the console that still ahd some sort of Mopar demo tape in it. The plan now is to basically change all fluids, clean out the gas tank, rebuild the carb & inspect & replace any stock components necessary to get it streetable again.
While it has the typical Mopar creaks & rattles is there anything you veterans of B-bodies can recommend we should pay particular attention to or be aware of?

Soooooooooo, it's been a long time since I visited here & for good reason---------my friend is finally ready to start on his '71 project.
He had me come over yesterday & what he described as an R/T was in fact a "500" model with a 383/TF, orange with a black vinyl top & interior with console. He had the buildsheet, original invoice from his Grandfather along with some maintenience records. Overall a nice, numbers matching survivor that had last seen the street somwhere around '92-94.
Grandpa, the original owner, was smart in that he had stashed a bunch of odd, easily broken NOS parts aside to replace as the car got older. The oddball option in this thing was a cassetteplayer/recorder mounted on the console that still ahd some sort of Mopar demo tape in it. The plan now is to basically change all fluids, clean out the gas tank, rebuild the carb & inspect & replace any stock components necessary to get it streetable again.
While it has the typical Mopar creaks & rattles is there anything you veterans of B-bodies can recommend we should pay particular attention to or be aware of?

you can buy an aftermarket OE style gas tank on ebay for alot cheaper than it will take to get your's dipped and coated. just something to think about.

To start, I would do an in depth check of the wiring seeing it was not that great to begin with and that is a lot of years of sitting. Visual and ohms check at least (including connectors). Maybe toss on some new di-electric lube at the connections.

Also, check to see if any mice got a chance to build a hotel in the heater box. Open the vents or crank up the fan and you'll be chewing on mouse litter and chocolate sprinkles in no time. Cousin got very seriously sick off cleaning out an old Desoto with all kinds of that stuff in it. Check all other area's mice could have made a home in. Fire/health/safety issue

Check out and grease your suspension/drivetrain. Check the condition of the rubber in all the boots, bushings and joints. Obviously worn/weathered items can hamper you performance and safety.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head...I'm sure more people should be piping in with more good advice to offer..

Good luck to ya.

Chocolate sprinkles? That there is funny.
Flush your brake system and check the rubber hoses. Check for brake leaks at the calipers/wheel cylinders. Doesn't matter how many cylinders have compression if you can't stop. Do all the pre start operations on the engine as you would any that hasn't been started since the first flight at Kittyhawk. Congrats on bringing another one back to the streets.

Thanks guys! My friend is new to this stuff so I'm kind of helping him along the way but not having any B-body experience I figured I'd ask the experts. I think I just need to steer him to this website.........

Auto Transport Service
Back