• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger taillight bulb socket removal

70chall440

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
I recently disassembled my rear bumper in order to fix some issues and to clean it up. I noticed that on the right side 2 of the bulbs are basically rusted in place but then discovered that the metal receptacle/socket is not removable. I did some research (google search) and found some information about basically ripping the sockets out of the plastic and replacing them with some other type socket but they didn't specify what type of socket, so I thought I would ask on here. I am thinking maybe like the E body ones with the fingers that allow them to snap in/out?

I recently disassembled my rear bumper in order to fix some issues and to clean it up. I noticed that on the right side 2 of the bulbs are basically rusted in place but then discovered that the metal receptacle/socket is not removable. I did some research (google search) and found some information about basically ripping the sockets out of the plastic and replacing them with some other type socket but they didn't specify what type of socket, so I thought I would ask on here. I am thinking maybe like the E body ones with the fingers that allow them to snap in/out?
Was thinking isn’t there an 1157 socket with fingers? I bought one years ago at Napa. Is it possible to Dremel it with cut off wheel and split and take out use replacement oem socket?

Advance used to have an 1157 socket with the "fingers," used a few of them several years ago. I think they were in their "Help" line of replacement parts.

I guess you have the standard lights? will must consider the replacement must get 3 wires. Most of the spring retainer sockets are two wire, designed to be attached on a metal housing getting ground by chassis. Althought the 3rd wire can be soldered to the exterior of socket. Some can be found with a prong thought. Some are also optioned with the dust cover booth being kinda waterproof.

Before replace Id’ try to restore the sockets in place thought. Remove bulbs, no matter if breaking them and start from there. Sand paper, dremel…

Last edited:
3 wire, with the booth.

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

next question is… will the spring “crown” deepness hold to the plastic housing due the thickness of the housing. These are tipically designed to be hold on metallic housings. Plastic housings are thicker. These come thought with an attaching plate with the propper thicknes to the spring retainer. Maybe attaching the plate to the housing?

Or simply glue the socket.

There is another variation of these sockets (3 wires and booth) with the ”twist lock” attaching design. Will need to make the hole even larger and cut it to the shape to accept the twist lock system.

There are some around with larger spring setup what will hold better in place to the plastic housing thickness, but I haven’t found these with 3 wires and booth. Just two wires and some with a ground provision prong (two design of these). These will require also a bigger hole made on housing.

note: I’d still try to restore the originals in place first.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I have not done anything with these taillights yet, actually only the 2 bulbs on the left side are really bad (rusty). I will attempt to retain what i have before ripping them apart.

Auto Transport Service
Back