• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 dodge coronet Idler arm Help

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
Got a 1971 dodge coronet that keeps slipping out of alignment. Finally found out it's the wrong idler arm at least that's what they say. It causing the ball joint to rub, I got the arm from O'Reilly's and the part number is K7014 which says it's correct for that car. I have a pic of the tie rod rubbing also. Not really sure what's going on but it's very confusing.

IMG_20231006_082201.jpg

No advice for you on this, but it's nice to see I'm not the only late Coronet fan here. I also have a '71.

Edit: looking closer at the picture, it appears the grease zerk is hitting the torsion bar? If that's the case, I'd probably unscrew the grease zerk and plug the hole. Remove plug and reinstall the zerk when doing maintenance.

Last edited:
Just a little more info my drag link is up higher on the passenger side which is causing that tie rod to rub, they say it's the idler arm. Car never stays in alignment, once again the idler arm on the car is k7041

If they gave you a K7014 MOOG, They are Morons....
K7014 is the 1965 - 1973 " C " Body IDLER ARM.......

A K7041 --- K7041 is the 1968 - 1972 " B " and " E " bodies IDLER ARM....

( A mistake --- or are they " dyslexic " ??? )

I'll call them again tomorrow and ask about that part number I could've gotten my numbers mixed up. I was told that idler arm was wrong though, not to many shops around here know about these old cars.

No advice for you on this, but it's nice to see I'm not the only late Coronet fan here. I also have a '71.

Edit: looking closer at the picture, it appears the grease zerk is hitting the torsion bar? If that's the case, I'd probably unscrew the grease zerk and plug the hole. Remove plug and reinstall the zerk when doing maintenance.
Thanks I will keep that in mind next time I get it looked at.

I'll call them again tomorrow and ask about that part number I could've gotten my numbers mixed up. I was told that idler arm was wrong though, not to many shops around here know about these old cars.

Yeah the one I ordered is k7041 so I don't know why my tie rod is rubbing and I also don't know why the guy told me it's the incorrect idler arm.

Did you check the lower control arm bushing? The mounting point for the pivot shaft can also break loose in the K frame, and pound out.

My two cents here are, "It looks like that tierod is upside down." All fittings are pointed down to easily access them for service. Anyway, I hope you have solved the problem.

That's what I was gonna say.

It looks like the stud is pulled down through the hole pretty tight, though.
Might have ruined the arm doing that.

I've also never seen zerks on top. Real hard to grease them that way.

That's what I was gonna say.

It looks like the stud is pulled down through the hole pretty tight, though.
Might have ruined the arm doing that.

I've also never seen zerks on top. Real hard to grease them that way.
The inside tie rod end goes down from the top on a 66 so the grease fitting would be on the top.
Don't know if they changed it in later years.
If the center link is indeed crooked (not level) then I would suspect the idler arm is incorrect.

Grrr.

It's killing me that I don't know/remember this...

Grrr.

It's killing me that I don't know/remember this...
The holes on the drag link are tapered, to fit the taper of the stud on the tierod end. I have fifteen years in the trade starting in 1970, and nine years as a Chrysler dealer mechanic. I have never seen any fitting configuration like that. I'd have to say the drag link may be upside down????

That's what I was talking about- torquing on them upside down can ruin the taper.

Nothing is upside down. All 62 -72 B bodies were mounted that way. If the center link was mounted upside down the pitman and idler arm tapers wouldn't even start.

Auto Transport Service
Back