• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 Rallye Mirror question

gary h

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to "tighten up" the Pass.side mirror ? It does not hold adjustment. Chrome is ok and glass is good. It is an original mirror and i really do not want a Chinese junk repop. Thanks

I had mine apart years ago. You need to remove the glass portion and tighten up the ball mount. If you push the mirror to the full right and left you can look back in the housing and see a Phillips head screw on both sides. That's how you get the glass out. They are using pretty tight. Once you get that out you can lightly tap the area around the ball swivel until it feels tight. That's the only way I know. Others will probably chime in.

On mine, I coated the ball mount in red Loctite.
Just set the mirror how you like it and the Loctite will stiffener it up - it won't permanently set it tho.

Another idea may be using construction glue on the ball mount - I've never tried that.

On mine, I coated the ball mount in red Loctite.
Just set the mirror how you like it and the Loctite will stiffener it up - it won't permanently set it tho.

Another idea may be using construction glue on the ball mount - I've never tried that.
I've done the same fix with Krazy-Glue...it's clear and will hold as long as the mirror doesn't get moved or bumped.

Get it close, then apply the glue, then (quickly) get it adjusted while you're in the car...it's a pretty good 'hack' for something that otherwise requires surgery, or a new/different mirror altogether...

Auto Transport Service
Back