• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 road runner 8 3/4 Rear Axle Seals & Drum Brake Hardware Kit

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
Hello Mopar Gurus:

My left axle seal is leaking, the brake cylinder was also leaking so I replaced it but realize that it is also the axle seal leaking as well. While I'm in there I want to replace the drum brake hardware (shoes are fine - like new but adjuster is frozen and other bits crusty). Question:

*Where ia a good place to buy a quality axle seal and drum brake hardware kit?

Looking to gain from your experience! We all know that there is a lot of junk when shopping online...

Thanks!

road robert

Get rid of the rusty crusty stuff first....then replace it all with new stuff....then look at Dr. Diff for replacements

Do you think that that axle seal inside of the housing is the culprit, or the axle flange gasket? You said that your wheel cyl was leaking, are you sure that you have an oil leak or residue from the wheel cyl leak. Regular axle bearings or green type bearings?

Bird 426: It's definitely gear oil that's seeping out, I have not taken it apart yet so I don't know what's in there - want to get the parts first as I can still drive it like that (fluid level in diff never seems to drop). Although it made a mess inside on the inside of the wheel - does not come off easily tried a few degreasers, etc.

How much gear oil should be up at the axle seals at the ends near the brake backing plate?

There is a inner and outer seal. The inner seal is easy to change after pulling the axle. The axle bearing is lubed by grease like front wheels. The outer seal is not good holding back gear oil. Change the inner, repack the bearing with grease, should be fine.

See if your local parts store carries Carlson brake hardware. If you order your seals from Dr Diff he should have the hardware also.

Hello Mopar Gurus:

My left axle seal is leaking, the brake cylinder was also leaking so I replaced it but realize that it is also the axle seal leaking as well. While I'm in there I want to replace the drum brake hardware (shoes are fine - like new but adjuster is frozen and other bits crusty). Question:

*Where ia a good place to buy a quality axle seal and drum brake hardware kit?

Looking to gain from your experience! We all know that there is a lot of junk when shopping online...

Thanks!

road robert
The outer seal is usually the one that leaks and requires the retainer and bearing to be pressed off the axle.

Inner seal is in the housing.... holds the oil in. Outer seal is in the bearing retainer, which requires the bearing to be removed to change.

Auto Transport Service
Back