• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Rallye, leave as is or update

From 1 72 charger guy to another.....I would keep it stockish...era correct. Btw...did we get a pic yet??

I'll try to post some later today. Been raining hard here the last couple of days and somehow the ones I had have vanished (likely user error :() from my phone.

I am not a "stock" guy by any stretch but I also appreciate unique cars. Personally I would probably keep the 440 and "church it up" but I would put good suspension under it (stock style but more performance orientated), good brakes (again stock style but good pads/shoes) and if it were me, I'd put EFI on it along with a roller cam. I put an EFI 6 pack on my 70 Challenger and have never looked back, I love it!!

I'm considering the above(again!) for my 71. But.....this below!
Screenshot_20211028-092526_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I enjoy working on and driving my 71 Superbee and am in it for that. I don't even keep track of what I'm spending as I rebuild it as needed. All original except for wiring and other wearable items. I drive it because I love the reaction in people as it rolls down the street. Honks, waves, smiles and the occasional curmudgeon that doesn't like the noise...

Work on it because you love the process, or flip it, but I'm not sure you can do both.

You guys are all right. I appreciate everyone's input and will move forward keeping it stock, but fix the things needing fixing and then work on the suspension and beefing up the motor some. I do love working on this and honestly don't really keep that much detail on how much I've spent, but have a general idea. It's a great, sorry I'm late on the pics.
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg
IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1259.jpg

I'm not a fan of high impact colours, but your car looks great! I think because it has all the additional black to offset the colour.

I'd leave it as original as possible and just clean and upgrade as required and just drive it and enjoy! But if you did want to convert it to a 4spd for a little more fun behind the wheel I don't think that would hurt the value at all. ;)

That sure looks bad *** to me....I really had my heart set on painting mine red.....but the $$$ I had set aside keeps getting picked at....love the color

"You guys are all right. I appreciate everyone's input and will move forward keeping it stock, but fix the things needing fixing and then work on the suspension and beefing up the motor some. I do love working on this and honestly don't really keep that much detail on how much I've spent, but have a general idea. It's a great, sorry I'm late on the pics." WOW! Your car is awesome! I wouldn't change ANYTHING looks wise, other than upgrade to 15" wheels; something that I just did to my '70! One piece 15x7 alloys.

100_2824.JPG 100_2873.JPG

Here is my 72 440 with Ramcharger hood. The low compression 440 will run strong with some tuning.
WP_20190406_16_31_00_Pro.jpg
WP_20190406_16_31_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20190525_17_28_58_Pro.jpg

Hey, one other question. It looks like you're running the same plug wires I am, have you ever had any luck finding original style, I believe black wire, orange boots, that were made to go on the electronic ignition cars? Everything I see is for non-electronic ignition models.

Never contacted Grover. I have since replaced the wires with black Standard Blue Streak wires.

My new Standard wires said not for electronic ignition also, but work fine. They are a better spiral core wire. The old orange wires were basic fiber core wires.
Hey, one other question. It looks like you're running the same plug wires I am, have you ever had any luck finding original style, I believe black wire, orange boots, that were made to go on the electronic ignition cars? Everything I see is for non-electronic ignition models.

My new Standard wires said not for electronic ignition also, but work fine. They are a better spiral core wire. The old orange wires were basic fiber core wires.
Do you know if when they say, not for electronic ignitions when selling ignition wires, is that mainly due to possible radio interference or is there some other reason?

I have heard that could be a issue. I have used spiral core wires on numerous Mopar with electronic ignition, and had no issues. On my Charger I have a GM 4 pin module hidden in the Chrysler ECU with the ballast bypassed and a MSD Blaster coil, and no issues with that setup.
Do you know if when they say, not for electronic ignitions when selling ignition wires, is that mainly due to possible radio interference or is there some other reason?

This seemed to be the best forum to place my question and would really like to get some input/feedback. Currently have an original 72 Charger Rallye, 440, Auto, Hemi Orange, N-96 intake. I've had this car going on 5 years now and have continued to not only repair, but do some light restoration. The car still has the original engine, transmission, rear end, and magnum 500 wheels along w/(2) broadcast sheets. It has a 10ft paint job on it w/original vinyl top (black) that currently has some rust under it and therefore the the top needs to be repaired along w/new vinyl top.

Currently I'm totally into this car at around $30K w/purchase price and repairs/updates. Based on my research, the car is actually worth around $30K as well. I really enjoy the car and drive it locally to some cruise nights and car shows and get some thumbs up which is fun. My feelings are though, keeping the car original at this point, I don't want to put much more $$$ into it and get way upside down. Along that thought then, I just stop and occasionally drive it as is, as I honestly don't see the value of this year and model going up anymore.

My other thought is actually putting some money into it and making it kind of a resto mod. My thoughts are repairing the top, changing the color to completely black, rebuilding the engine and converting the top end to a Six Pack. I would also upgrade the wheels to at least 15" maybe 17". In 1972, Dodge advertised that you could order the Charger Rally w/440 Six Pack, but in reality, they dropped that due to I believe goverment regulation or something, but rumor has it they actually built 1 or 2 of them. I think it would be pretty neat to create that car and make it more enjoyable to drive (current 3 speed auto 727) as well as more eye appeal and interest at car shows. I know this definitely involves more $$$, but I think doing that the value could increase equally, not that I'm trying to make money on it, I'm not.

Anyway, please hit me with your thoughts, good or bad. Appreciate you guys!!!
It is worth more original in the long run. It is a rare car and scarcity makes value. Please leave it the color it was originally painted.
I did bolt on upgrading to mine since it is a rare sunroof car. I put the Year one Rallye wheels with modern tires for safety, upgraded all lights to LEDs and used polyurethane bushings everywhere.
Still GY4 gold with a Bench seat because that is the cars color and personality this makes it unique.

Auto Transport Service
Back