• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Voltage limiter replacement

LT'sCharger

Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
I think our voltage limiter went bad on our 72 Charger. One day about a month ago, shortly after I started the car, I smelled what smelled like hot electronics. Shortly after that, I noticed the gauges were dead, Oil pressure gauge, fuel gauge, temp guage. They have not worked since. I am assuming that the likely cause of the problem is the voltage limiter. The car was restored in 2014 by the PO. It is likely that he replaced the voltage limiter. Any suggestions on replacing this without removing the whole dash assembly? I also want to replace the radio while I have it apart. I am attaching a picture of our dash.
20210322_190841.jpg

It's possible. You will need to remove the radio as its located directly above it between the gauges. Pic of the back side for reference.

IMG_0264.JPG

Just for your reference see rt-eng.com concerning the IVR and characteristics.

I think I have pulled my cluster out a half dozen times in the past 2 years for a variety of reasons without removing the dash so that is an option. You might be able to get to it with just removing the radio, but knowing how much of a PITA it is to get up to where the regulator is you will likely need more tool access.
If you want to try, this is what I have done to pull the cluster:
1. You will need to pull the radio, and might need to detach the heater cables
2. Drop the steering column (3 vertical nuts hold it up also unbolt the column ground cable).
3. I usually unbolted the colum sealing plate to the fire wall also because it allows the column to drop more out of the way.
4. After that you can remove the screws and the cluster should slide out. There are 4 screws in the front and 2 more underneath on either side of the column.
Your dash looks really nice so I would get some masking tape and cover the edges around the cluster to make sure it doesn't get a scratch.
You should be able to tilt the cluster out and forward and replace the VR.

The RT-ENG product looks nice, but if you want you can make a a 5v regulator for peanuts: Allpar link
I made one to run my gauges and one to run my data longer sensors without issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back