• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 dodge coronet 383 swap

Kessler21

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
So I'm swapping my 72's 318 for a 383 from a late 60's road runner. i got the engine for 300 bux so far I cleaned the heads put new gaskets on, man was this thing a sludge bucket!.
My question is can I use the 318 alternator, fuel pump. and what other parts can i steal from the 318 i just ordered mounts and need to get a new carb and headers. distributer timing is also a thing I'm gonna need help with more or less setting the firing order and how to go about it. I am mechanically inclined which is good but any advice would be greatly appreciated tryna do a sleeper with a hemi hood scoop ; ).

image0.png

If you have all the brackets for the 383, and that is it on the stand in the pic, it's pretty easy to find out if the front accessories will bolt on. I can't say on the fuel pump.

Having a "Hemi" hoodscoop w a 383 under the hood is "Not" a sleeper. It's like putting racing stripes on a car w a slant 6.

You can use:
alternator, but none of the brackets
starter
water neck and thermostat
distributor cap and rotor only.

other than that you need BB parts.

you need a different transmission for the 383 also.

You can use:
alternator, but none of the brackets
starter
water neck and thermostat
distributor cap and rotor only.

other than that you need BB parts.

you need a different transmission for the 383 also.
got the trans hopefully it works

If you have all the brackets for the 383, and that is it on the stand in the pic, it's pretty easy to find out if the front accessories will bolt on. I can't say on the fuel pump.

Having a "Hemi" hoodscoop w a 383 under the hood is "Not" a sleeper. It's like putting racing stripes on a car w a slant 6.
what's wrong with a 383 uncle tony from utg has plenty of cars including a slant 6 that he built with a hood scoop, and the only reason I'm here is to find out from people who know more then I about engine swaps and Chrysler's, That's a lousy thing to say also I think he also has a windshield decal on his 72 coronet. Possibly a racing stripe on that slant 6 Thanks for the encouragement. The sleeper thing was a joke

what's wrong with a 383 uncle tony from utg has plenty of cars including a slant 6 that he built with a hood scoop, and the only reason I'm here is to find out from people who know more then I about engine swaps and Chrysler's, That's a lousy thing to say also I think he also has a windshield decal on his 72 coronet. Possibly a racing stripe on that slant 6 Thanks for the encouragement. The sleeper thing was a joke

I have a Punisher decal on the hood of my daily beater. I dont go around killing bad guys.
20210412-183247.jpg

Nothing at all is wrong w a 383. I actually love them. I was saying a 383 under the hood of a Hemi scoop is not a sleeper. Since you were making a joke, then it's not relevant.

Here's a sleeper, 383 stroked to 496, 610hp/670tq at crank.
20210307_135216.jpg

Nothing at all is wrong w a 383. I actually love them. I was saying a 383 under the hood of a Hemi scoop is not a sleeper. Since you were making a joke, then it's not relevant.

Here's a sleeper, 383 stroked to 496, 610hp/670tq at crank.
View attachment 1150987
thats a beautiful coronet WOW!!! min was an nypd car form the 70's

thats a beautiful coronet WOW!!! min was an nypd car form the 70's
Thank you. It was my Great Grandmother's, she bought it new in '67. I inherited it. 95k original miles now and a desert car always garaged.

So I'm swapping my 72's 318 for a 383 from a late 60's road runner. i got the engine for 300 bux so far I cleaned the heads put new gaskets on, man was this thing a sludge bucket!.
My question is can I use the 318 alternator, fuel pump. and what other parts can i steal from the 318 i just ordered mounts and need to get a new carb and headers. distributer timing is also a thing I'm gonna need help with more or less setting the firing order and how to go about it. I am mechanically inclined which is good but any advice would be greatly appreciated tryna do a sleeper with a hemi hood scoop ; ).

View attachment 1150949
If you need a NIB fuel pump, holler.

Auto Transport Service
Back