• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Heater Box removal

TopBanana72

Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
Hi All, I need to remove the heater box to fix a core leak. How does this thing come off?

Heater2.PNG

In any case not from that side... The motor comes out along with the complete heater box.
Just did that job on my 71.4 nuts on engine side of firewall, one rod inside on top left of box, and all the control cables need to come off, then you take out the box.

SO that black thing the arrow points to... I don't do anything with that?

SO that black thing the arrow points to... I don't do anything with that?
No. It's the blower motor, will come out once you pull the heter box inside. 3 nuts circling the motor need to come off and probably a fourth one. Also, of course disconnect the hoses

Just remove the rubber cold air hose and the motor will come out with the box as mentioned above. Pulling the glove box liner really helps when pulling the box.

Just remove the rubber cold air hose and the motor will come out with the box as mentioned above. Pulling the glove box liner really helps when pulling the box.

Oh I see, thanks. My first time doing this.

Another trick I read here and highly recommend: by all means, take out the passenger seat first. Your back will thank you!

Oh thanks!. I was thinking of that. I have a bench seat :( Still might take it out though...

All answers above are correct. I just did a rebuild of my a/c heater box. Since you will have the box out, may want to also rebuild the foam and rubber gasket parts. Get the complete kit from Detroit Muscle Technology.
www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com

This guy has a few videos that may help you.

He's just trying to be funny. There are way worse out there.

Make sure you are careful getting the nuts off in the engine compartment. You can bust them out of the fiberglass housing if they are seized. I have cut the nuts off with a cut off tool just to insure not breaking them off and then bought new nuts..

Auto Transport Service
Back