• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Plymouth Steering column vibration at 40 MPH

Robert Schaad

Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
First I must say I have replaced most everything on the front end of my 72 Plymouth SSP. Upper control arms, shocks, Ball joints, tie rods, sleeves, rotors, bearings, brakes, calipers, brake lines, Lower control bushings, strut rod bushings. Tires and Wheels about 2 years old. Then one day I started to have my steering wheel and dash start to vibrate badly at about 30-40 MPR. There also is a whoom whoom noise from the front. I tried a lot of things. Shifted to third and it stays the same. Coasted in neutral and it is there. Shut engine off while coasting in neutral and it is still there to include that noise. Under 25 and it is gone.

Obvious out of balance/round condition. If the tires are all the same size, perfect. Just rotate the front to the rear. If the vibration goes to the rear, solved.
Depending on what type of rims and how the tires were balanced, it could have just lost a large weight.

Obvious out of balance/round condition. If the tires are all the same size, perfect. Just rotate the front to the rear. If the vibration goes to the rear, solved.
Depending on what type of rims and how the tires were balanced, it could have just lost a large weight.
Thanks for the reply, but I already tried putting another set of wheels on the front and it did not change things.
Thanks for the info, but I have solved the problem. OOPS. I replaced everything EXCEPT the front U joint. Just replaced it and everything good. I now have replace just about everything.

Thanks for the reply, but I already tried putting another set of wheels on the front and it did not change things.

Thanks for the info, but I have solved the problem. OOPS. I replaced everything EXCEPT the front U joint. Just replaced it and everything good. I now have replace just about everything.
I looked into my paperwork and I did replace the front U joint. I used a cheep one that did not have a grease fitting so I could not lubricate it. The U joint only lasted 2 years in Reno, Nv. Very hot here. The u joint came out with NO GREASE and only dust and needles. Went back to MOOG as I normally use. Car is fixed and running great.

Just surprised that the driveshaft would cause a steering wheel vibration. Interesting...

Just surprised that the driveshaft would cause a steering wheel vibration. Interesting...
The U joint actually started to harden up. The yoke actually started to freeze in one position. I could hardly move it back and forth. Never had that happen before. She runs great now.

Auto Transport Service
Back