• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 satellite sebring plus

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Ok, so, i'm new to this, so bear with me !

Just bought my first "real" mopar!

72 SSP 400 2bbl, auto, ac, buckets, and console.

this is a true survivor car! original paint, top, interior, hub caps, etc.. NO RUST ANYWHERE!! heck even the cig lighter works!

so, my delima, do i keep it original? or go with a RR or GTX clone. I hate to change the color, due to door jams, under hood, in truck.. etc all matching.. what do you think?

also, if i go all original, any idea of where i can get the stainless steel trim for the drivers side quarter?

looking forward to your input !

Attachments

• 20141226_161115.jpg
    20141226_161115.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 20141226_161227.jpg
    20141226_161227.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 420
  • 20141226_161253.jpg
    20141226_161253.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 20141226_161307.jpg
    20141226_161307.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 368
keep it original "looking". i would change the wheels to something more sporty. that one simple change does wonders. maybe change the intake to a 4bbl and put some hedders on it. don't do the RR, GTX clone.
welcome to fbbo!

thanks 69roadr.. yea, i agree, the wheels have to go! thinking maybe ralley's?

Beautiful car!

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for joining the forum....

PS: Yeah, put somew nice Ralleys on that car

Put some different wheels & tires on it, then drive 'em off. :icon_wink:

Welcome!
I just went through the same question with my 72 SSP.
Just got mine back from paint shop. I decided to keep mine a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus. I am going to ad certian things I like from Roadrunner and GTX's, but it will be a SSP.
Mine was original "EV2" Hemi Orange/Tor Red and I kept it that color. I removed all trim and side studs and went with one color.
Word of advise.... Just drive the dang thing and enjoy it for awhile!

Attachments

• 20141229_084716_resized.jpg
    20141229_084716_resized.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 20141229_084750-1.jpg
    20141229_084750-1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 247
Looks great and welcome, keep it stock looking
With some rally's . On 71-72s I prefer the look of the 71 wheel center , it just seems to go with the body style

so, my delima, do i keep it original? or go with a RR or GTX clone. I hate to change the color, due to door jams, under hood, in truck.. etc all matching.. what do you think?

Ah, hell, please do NOT go and make this car a damn "clone", "tribute", "FAKE", or whatever!!! Your car is what it is. It'll NEVER be a real RR/GTX, anyway. You have a clean big-block Satellite. It's worth more as-is, versus making it one of another 20,359 fake '72 RoadRunners.

It's YOUR car to do with what you please, but can't there be a few truly original Satellites remaining???

Welcome!
I just went through the same question with my 72 SSP.
Just got mine back from paint shop. I decided to keep mine a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus. I am going to ad certian things I like from Roadrunner and GTX's, but it will be a SSP.
Mine was original "EV2" Hemi Orange/Tor Red and I kept it that color. I removed all trim and side studs and went with one color.
Word of advise.... Just drive the dang thing and enjoy it for awhile!

I know this is going to come off sounding like a knock against you but by removing the side moldings and the Argent bottom you took the best part of a 1 year model away.
Your car looks GREAT but no one is going to think they are looking at a SSP even with the emblems there.
Ron

- - - Updated - - -

72sat31 (Large).jpgIMG_0275 (Large).jpg
Ok, so, i'm new to this, so bear with me !

Just bought my first "real" mopar!

72 SSP 400 2bbl, auto, ac, buckets, and console.

this is a true survivor car! original paint, top, interior, hub caps, etc.. NO RUST ANYWHERE!! heck even the cig lighter works!

also, if i go all original, any idea of where i can get the stainless steel trim for the drivers side quarter?

looking forward to your input !

Great another SSP comes out of the woodwork!!!!!
Please don't clone it, these cars are unique in there own right. I am against color changes but this car would look better in a different hue.
Put wheels on it as stated already and enjoy it.
The side molding is something I am always looking for, few and far between.
I even bought some NOS right side pieces a month ago but when they got here so much was bent and broken I ended up with one useable piece. Luckily I have all my original and a little more but want to try and find some perfect pieces.
My first SSP was a 400 4 speed in Black w/white top and interior but is now a clone living in the Midwest.
I bought this 400 4bbl auto w/air and windows this year. It was still in original paint but triple Black so I gave it it's first paint and a White Canopy top and have all new White interior to install also so as to recreate the first one sort of.
Ron

Wow, I gotta say those are some SWEET rides ! i am very glad i found this web site, i enjoy all of your input on this car. i am leaning really hard to keeping her stock looking with ssp tim ( if i can find that 1 dang piece !).
i am gonna have to think about the color change, i think i could live with the color. i just dont think its worth it to repaint Everything !

here is what i know about the car..
RP23:
Plymouth Belvedere,Satellite
Premium
2 Door Hardtop

M2G: 400 190HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
GY4: Gold Exterior Color
H6Y3: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Gold
GY4: Gold Int. Door Frames
902: Build Date: September 02
129141: Order number

V4W: Unknown Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C56: Bucket Seats

G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M31: Belt Moldings

M33: Body Side Moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

Welcome to the site...good folks here. Nice car, where are you in Florida? Where did you find the car?

I'd run with either Rallyes, or a set of 17" wheels with some style to them. Plain 15" steelies with the Plymouth Division cop caps and blackwalls would help make the car look a little "meaner"!

Sweet car! Like most here, I'd leave it as is with minor mods...wheels, 4bbl carb & intake. Give the paint a good polish and after that just enjoy it on the road.

If you can, give us some more pics of the car, i.e. interior, engine bay, etc.

THAT BODY STYLE...and the Plymouth Front end...is so much better (too me) than the Dodge Charger front end.

welcome to FBBO from the other sunshine state

Wow, I gotta say those are some SWEET rides ! i am very glad i found this web site, i enjoy all of your input on this car. i am leaning really hard to keeping her stock looking with ssp tim ( if i can find that 1 dang piece !).
i am gonna have to think about the color change, i think i could live with the color. i just dont think its worth it to repaint Everything !

here is what i know about the car..
RP23:
Plymouth Belvedere,Satellite
Premium
2 Door Hardtop

M2G: 400 190HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
GY4: Gold Exterior Color
H6Y3: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Gold
GY4: Gold Int. Door Frames
902: Build Date: September 02
129141: Order number

V4W: Unknown Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C56: Bucket Seats

G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M31: Belt Moldings

M33: Body Side Moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes
Fixed this part
E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp ****CORRECTION 400 2bbl engine
V4W: Unknown Top Color **** CORRECTION White Canopy top
Ron

Congrats...keep it as is and add some shoes(17s) put an intake headers and rear in her...that'll wake her up and ppl will take notice!!

I knew your car had to be a fairly early build with the Pentastar on the bottom of your right fender.

:902: Build Date: September 02"

Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back