• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 1st gear ratio

Word to the wise.....
If you are happy with your "daily driver" and want to run it at the drag races, just buy a set of slicks that will fit nicely into your stock wheel wells and go racing.
Whatever it runs, it runs.
You will be bracket racing anyway, so just dial in at what it runs and have a good time..
Once you start down the road for "more performance, lower ET's, etc, it is a NEVER ENDING EXPENSE.
So, if ur car runs, let's say 12.75 ET now, why spend a couple thousand dollars to make it run 12.30's. You will feel better, maybe, but you will just as likely to win your bracket class running 12.75 as running 12.30.
Just get a set of slicks and go racing.
Get seat time at the drags, improve your reaction time by seat time and your car will probably run the basically the same number about everytime, depending on the weather.
I think most everyone here will agree with me.
Now....if you really want to go FAST, just prepare to spend about $15,000 to $20,000 for a big motor, race trans with transbrake, Narrowed, race Dana, race headers, race fuel pump system, race ignition, shifter, batteries, battery charger, etc, etc,....it is endless.
I have gone this way and don't regret it, but I could have had "fun" with my car as it was....a 12.20et car at the track, just the way it was when I bought it.

This made me smile, I've preached the same thing to other drivers.

If you were to go with a low gear set with 3.23: 1st gear would act like a 3.6 rear gear, 2nd gear would be like a 3.4 rear gear and your drive would be back to 3.23.

I installed the low gear set with a 4.10 rear gear and the changes for me work out to be like 4.58 1st, 4.35 2nd, and 4.10 for third.

I did the same thing. Low gear 727 with 4.10's and 30" tall tires but added a gear vendors so I think I have it covered on both ends.

Auto Transport Service
Back