• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 dipstick leak back??

multimopes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:44 PM
Reaction score
My recently rebuilt 727, with manual reverse valve body, seems to have the fluid level high on stick after being parked for a while. I mean several inches above normal. Checking the level after warming & in neutral while idling shows normal level on the stick. I have never heard of this before. The car gets parked on level ground. Leak back from somewhere maybe?? Check valve issue?? Any ideas of what could cause this???:BangHead:

Last edited:
I had a special anti-drain back valve installed in my A100 if that helps. Not sure what it's called, but it is a common and easy add-on.

I've got the same problem with my Roadrunner. After sitting it appears to do the same thing. Will be interested to learn of a cure. ruffcut

Checking the level after warming & in neutral while idling shows normal level on the stick.
This is the key part that you stated. Once the pump is spinning and circulating fluid through the circuits you are at the proper level. Under no pressure gravity takes over.
Edit: I always start and warm up the car in neutral.

Last edited:
Thanks, it never happened with any other auto tranny I ever had. I was wondering if they had slightly altered the viscosity of the fluid or something. In this day of inferior and/or imported materials & such Ya just never know!
As for gravity taking over; my gut echoes those effects; lol! (It couldn't be the BEER!) :drinks:

Thanks, it never happened with any other auto tranny I ever had. I was wondering if they had slightly altered the viscosity of the fluid or something. In this day of inferior and/or imported materials & such Ya just never know!
As for gravity taking over; my gut echoes those effects; lol! (It couldn't be the BEER!) :drinks:
Mine is the same way. Oh, and the car too. :)

Converter drain back has always been an issue with Torqueflites. Look at Transgo site for help.
Mike

No mater how much drain back you have you still have a leak you should not have. You should be able to fill that tube to the top and if sealed properly it will not leak. Make sure thats your leak first. Fluid has a funny way of moving around and fooling people.

I would suspect drain back from the convertor. Fluid level in the convertor is way above the level in the pan/dipstick. I forget how the convertor feed circuit valve works in the valve body, but pretty sure it is somewhere in that circuit.

Is your dipstick actually leaking, or are you just concerned that the level changes when it is turned off? It's not abnormal for the level to raise up when the pump stops filling the converter, which is why the level isn't checked with the engine off.

I had a friend who was puzzled why his Buick only leaked when shut off. It was his dipstick o-ring, but the level was below the leak area when running.

Read that reverse manual VB are prone to convertor drain back. Any truth to that?

Converter drain back has always been an issue with Torqueflites. Look at Transgo site for help.
Mike
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I own 3 Mopar automatics. 2 do it and 1 doesn't.

All three of my autos drain back.. at least 2" above "full" on the dip stick. Non issue now that I have them sealed tighter than a ducks ***..

Thanks Roger, Add ON or Add IN???? Perhaps a check valve on one of the cooling lines??
Internal addition - I had my Transmission guy fit it when he did a rebuild. I had to get a new valve body installed due to leakage and general tidy-up.

It involved some minor drilling I believe.

Damn it Jim, I'm an Electrician, not a Doctor. :lol:

Mine leaks from drain back several hours after I park it. Relatively new CRT 727. I wish there was an easy fix. Doesn't leak when running. No other car I've ever had did this.

All three of my autos drain back.. at least 2" above "full" on the dip stick. Non issue now that I have them sealed tighter than a ducks ***..
Couldn't help it....
How in the world would you know how tight
a duck's *** is? /s

Auto Transport Service
Back