• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 issues

steve from staten island

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
With my engine vacuum problem out of the way it was on to the next problem.
I took the car out for a test ride with my brother and the first thing he asks me is whats wrong with the transmission. It does not slip on take off, but the car seems to be holding back and its not a engine problem. Its almost like the motor is revving but the car is not moving fast enough.
Also its loud, very loud. This is a stock 383 two barrel with single exhaust (all new) The trans is making a sort of noise, like a whine. I have insulated floors, plus a rug and the car driving it is just noisy.
I am 66 so i remember what it was like driving older cars in general and something is not right with that trans and now another person says the same thing.
Ive been suspect of that trans from the day i installed it and it was supposedly rebuilt.
I want to yank it out and send it to either John Cope or A&A. Cope advertises a stock rebuilt for around 700 plus the converter.
Im looking for no drama and a well rebuilt trans, that when i install I'm reasonably sure i will have no issues.

If you're getting a loud whine, I've had that from a clogged filter. The pump was cavitating because of the extra suction involved. Might not be your trouble, but dropping the pan will let you know.

If you're getting a loud whine, I've had that from a clogged filter. The pump was cavitating because of the extra suction involved. Might not be your trouble, but dropping the pan will let you know.
recently rebuilt and pan and filter are clean. I wish i was that lucky lol

Windup off the start could be many things, loose band, bad clutches, torque converter. The whine can also be numerous things. I've had 2 Cope 727's in the last several years & used his components on a 727 for a customer. Very satisfied with both trans & the components I got from him. Years ago my Chev buddy had good luck with his A&A glide stuff, but that was 30 years ago.

Windup off the start could be many things, loose band, bad clutches, torque converter. The whine can also be numerous things. I've had 2 Cope 727's in the last several years & used his components on a 727 for a customer. Very satisfied with both trans & the components I got from him. Years ago my Chev buddy had good luck with his A&A glide stuff, but that was 30 years ago.
I cant deal with this car and its ongoing issues. The trans was done by a shop my friend recommended. It was a shithole, run by two young brothers trying to start a business. They were brought up in the business and seemed to know there stuff. I figured they were starting out and decided to give them a shot. They were cheap and when i went to pick up the trans they showed me how to install the converter which i knew but i kept my mouth shut. The converter would not go on all the way and it was a problem in the front of trans, i dont know. They fixed whatever it was but right then and there i should have known.
Either way thats about four years ago and of course there out of business . I will call John Cope tomorrow and get a properly assembled trans and be done with it....thank you for your post

Guaranteed there is someone local to you to build it. 727 isn't rocket science.
Doug

FYI, putting the converter in can be a pain in the ***. It often takes many, many tries to get both the pump lugs & the input splines lined up. Just many attempts & patience. Too bad you're so far away, I'd put something together that would match your goals.

Next would be a band adjustment. There's good books out there by Tom Hand and the one by Carl Munroe as well. A factory service manual can tell you much.

Make sure the converter spline count matches the input shaft. The input spline count changed between 1966 and 1967. If the wrong converter was "forced" onto the input shaft it might be cracked, and it might actually work for awhile till it breaks.

Steve,

Go to Autozone and Rent a pressure gauge. Install in Transmission side case and check pressure. If your experiencing pressure issues then you can move forward.

Stupid question here Steve, and I'm sure you've already addressed this... but is the fluid level up where it's supposed to be? And, the kickdown adjustment can absolutely cause the issue you're having..

What i dont get is the kickdown lever arm on the trans only goes so far. The top lever is adjusted so when the carb throttle starts to move the lever moves. For the lever on trans to be all the way or as close to the rear of the transmission the throttle would have to be open far. Is this right?
The car is on fast idle or at least idling in reverse has to be 7 8 hundred rpm maybe more, take your foot off the brake level ground the car will not roll....I have to step on gas enough to get it to start to move then its better.... It not right, it does not sound right

I've had convertors where the stator bearings went south a nd they'd whine, almost like a supercharger... And the stall speed went from 2500 to 3500+. If there's a noise, I'd probably pull it to have it redone and replace the convertor, and flush the lines and cooler(s).

I've had convertors where the stator bearings went south a nd they'd whine, almost like a supercharger... And the stall speed went from 2500 to 3500+. If there's a noise, I'd probably pull it to have it redone and replace the convertor, and flush the lines and cooler(s).
The converter was replaced but I'm sure it was a cheap aftermarket part. The luck I've had with aftermarket parts on this car has not been positive

What i dont get is the kickdown lever arm on the trans only goes so far. The top lever is adjusted so when the carb throttle starts to move the lever moves. For the lever on trans to be all the way or as close to the rear of the transmission the throttle would have to be open far. Is this right?
The car is on fast idle or at least idling in reverse has to be 7 8 hundred rpm maybe more, take your foot off the brake level ground the car will not roll....I have to step on gas enough to get it to start to move then its better.... It not right, it does not sound right

In my experience, even with no throttle pressure from the kickdown lever, the car should move. You have something very wrong. Cheap converters are not the way to go on any vehicle. You seem to be working with totally junk parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back