• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Kickdown linkage bellcrank question

Mr.SpeedFreak

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
So I just sandblasted my bellcrank for my kickdown linkage, and it looks to me like its been bent.
This is my first mopar so Im hoping one of you guys can tell me for sure
IMAG0729.jpg

Also noticed the cracks on top from where it would be bent.
IMAG0730.jpg

Pretty sure it is but thought I'd ask you guys cause I've heard how much transmissions love improperly adjusted kickdowns lol.

Definitely it is tweeked and weakened. They are available on eBay and other vendors. I have a spare if you are interested. PM me....

It's a kick-down bell crank. Worst case if it actually broke would be that your trans would up shift too early and you would definitely notice it at lower speeds. That piece sees no 'strenuous' pressure. You can replace it for aesthetics or piece of mind, but I seriously doubt it's going to break. I would replace it if they are cheap. Otherwize, straighten it out and go.

The worst case if it broke would be that it would burn up the transmission. It's not JUST kickdown linkage. The correct name is throttle pressure linkage as it increases line pressure in the transmission in relation to where the throttle is so that the clutches have more pressure to hold them together under a load. Without it, the transmission will burn up in short order, beginning with high gear. The only instance where you do not need it, is when you run a manual valve body.

The worst case if it broke would be that it would burn up the transmission. It's not JUST kickdown linkage. The correct name is throttle pressure linkage as it increases line pressure in the transmission in relation to where the throttle is so that the clutches have more pressure to hold them together under a load. Without it, the transmission will burn up in short order, beginning with high gear. The only instance where you do not need it, is when you run a manual valve body.

Good point. I should have worded that better. If left broke, it will burn up quickly by shifting up too soon. That's what I was getting at by my comment that it would be noticed at low speeds. It was also what the transmission guy warned me about when putting my car back together...that if the linkage was not adjusted properly that the car would up shift too soon. But as far as the stress cracks?...I don't see this piece breaking. There is no more pressure put on it than what you feel with your foot on the gas pedal.

Yeah and I've even seen "MoPar" people just leave it off and throw it in the ditch cause they think since a chebbie can do without it so can a MoPar. They always find out the hard way, too.

Thanks guys, figured it was tweaked but good to get your input. I was planning on just bending it back and using it, with how thick it is I can't really see it breaking (the cracks in the top are really shallow and it still feels strong) but I will replace it if I need to.

It's an importand piece, no doubt. If it was mine, I'd get another one.

Straighten it, and weld up the cracks with a mig.

if you can straighten it by had,replace it.if it takes a vice to fix it and you cant bend it back by hand you should be ok to run it.

Auto Transport Service
Back