• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Kickdown mystery...

Jonas Nordstrom

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Thinking out loud here when I am trying to adjust my Throttle pressure lever to work the same on my TQ (Thermoquad) as it did on my SD (Street Demon.)

On my SD it worked great and was easy to adjust, I had instant low speed kickdown and high speed kickdown.
...I then changed to a TQ and the low speed kickdown is gone and I get about a 2 second delay when flooring it at high speeds until the Kickdown engages.
On my TQ I moved one of the holes to resemble the Bouchillion lever that is said to have the correct mopar ratio. (Green line)

Though on the TQ the throttle cable hole is 3cm from the center (Blue line) so the hole for the pressure lever is offset.
(On the SD the two holes are a equal length from the center, 2.7cm and more centered (SD yellow line.)

I did a test and moved the pressure lever to the other hole on the TQ (TQ yellow line) that are more centered and is a equal length from the center with the throttle cable hole)
....but doing this the kickdown behaved very strange.

Ive tried many many positions on the cable adjuster and got the shift-points correct...but no low speed kickdown.
Now I am planning to weld a plate that exactly mimics the SD holes and test on the TQ.
Or...am I missing something else?

kickdownm.jpg

This is just a guess. Have you tried to align the cable bracket to a higher position
to have the cables in a straight line pull instead of the up hill as in the photo.
Maybe causing a fulcrum effect ? Photo is from a single 4 bbl Hemi car using the same bracket.

IMG_0001.jpg

Thinking out loud here when I am trying to adjust my Throttle pressure lever to work the same on my TQ (Thermoquad) as it did on my SD (Street Demon.)

On my SD it worked great and was easy to adjust, I had instant low speed kickdown and high speed kickdown.
...I then changed to a TQ and the low speed kickdown is gone and I get about a 2 second delay when flooring it at high speeds until the Kickdown engages.
On my TQ I moved one of the holes to resemble the Bouchillion lever that is said to have the correct mopar ratio. (Green line)

Though on the TQ the throttle cable hole is 3cm from the center (Blue line) so the hole for the pressure lever is offset.
(On the SD the two holes are a equal length from the center, 2.7cm and more centered (SD yellow line.)

I did a test and moved the pressure lever to the other hole on the TQ (TQ yellow line) that are more centered and is a equal length from the center with the throttle cable hole)
....but doing this the kickdown behaved very strange.

Ive tried many many positions on the cable adjuster and got the shift-points correct...but no low speed kickdown.
Now I am planning to weld a plate that exactly mimics the SD holes and test on the TQ.
Or...am I missing something else?

View attachment 1476300
You are on the right track. If you have the trans oil pan off, you need to get the travel correct so that at idle the lever just touches the end of the throttle valve and at wide open throttle the valve is just fully depressed. If that relationship is set, everyone I have worked on works right.

Auto Transport Service
Back