• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 oil pan bolts failure

Hi guys

yesterday I wanted to change my oil pan gasket on my 727 torqueflite. I have disassembled the oil pan and replaced the gasket (cork gasket not rubber). In order to be a bit more safe; I added a bit of red silicon (high temp one) and when I wanted to assemble again 1 of the 14 bolts was spinning free with the ratchet key.
I can loosen and disassemble it; but when I try to tighten it's still spinning free like it is not going all its length.

I changed the bolt; was better then I took my tightening wrench and put 175 inch.lbs (20 Nm) but I could tight only 11 bolts, 3 are spinning free with my torque wrench.

I precise, by hand seems OK, bolts are all tights (except the one I said before), but with torque wrench I can clearly not reach the 20 Nm with 3 bolts... What do recommand ? I'm afraid pan will leak if I put oil inside due to these 3 bolts. Maybe I can add some blue Locktite to be sure on the 3 bolts spinning. Otherwise I though about a thread chaser to clean the thread; I have notices some metal parts on the bolt when I disassembled it.
Already said but the bolts didn't fail, the case threads did.

Hi everyone

I finally solved the issue of the oil pan by putting all M8 screws and that works perfectly ! To do things properly I also changed the gasket with Moroso one and the oil pan from Summit racing (Aluminium one). Fact is that the oil pan have extra capacity of 2 quarts. Small question: I put the oil in the pan (almost 6 L) and I could see the level OK when car is not running. When I switch on the engine, I run little bit and I check again the level at idle when engine is warm I see no level, like the gear box is empty.
I added 1L again, at idle engine warm I can see the end of the oil dipstick marking level but below minimum recomanded. When I switch off the engine the level is higher than the maximum on dipstick.... Is this normal having so much difference ? I have fears than the oil is new and I cannot see the level when running because of fluid viscosity...

Hi everyone

I finally solved the issue of the oil pan by putting all M8 screws and that works perfectly ! To do things properly I also changed the gasket with Moroso one and the oil pan from Summit racing (Aluminium one). Fact is that the oil pan have extra capacity of 2 quarts. Small question: I put the oil in the pan (almost 6 L) and I could see the level OK when car is not running. When I switch on the engine, I run little bit and I check again the level at idle when engine is warm I see no level, like the gear box is empty.
I added 1L again, at idle engine warm I can see the end of the oil dipstick marking level but below minimum recomanded. When I switch off the engine the level is higher than the maximum on dipstick.... Is this normal having so much difference ? I have fears than the oil is new and I cannot see the level when running because of fluid viscosity...
Always check the 727 oil level at normal running temperature in neutral .The oil normally will run back to the pan when the engine is shut off. It is drain back from the torque converter.
Mike

My guess is that a lot of the transfluid is being pumped all around thre transmission to lubricate the solar gear, the various band and in the torque convertor etc
once the engine stops the pump in the transmission stop sending the fluid all around

from what i m guessing in park the transmission is turned off while in neutral the transmission is turned on so every gear, clutch etc is operating so the oil is being pump all around

I checked the level while in Park, it is a real difference in Neutral ?
Check it idling, warmed up, in neutral, on a level surface. That's the only way to get an accurate read on the dipstick.

I checked the level while in Park, it is a real difference in Neutral ?
Always check fluid level in Neutral. Torque converter will not fill when in Park. I like using the A-518 (overdrive truck transmission) pan gasket with o-ringed bolt holes. It is more expensive than cork gasket, but it does not leak and is reusable.

Pan bolts getting stripped is common and the heli-coil repair is too. One thing for those using them. The updated pan gaskets that the mothership makes for the 904/a500/42rh and the 727/518/618/46-48 rh&re trannies, the one thats a hard unit with o-rings formed on it and bushings in the bolt holes, requires a longer by two threads[ if my memory serves me correctly] bolt which was listed on the TSB when they came out. If you didn't change out the bolts when you used this gasket you were prone to thread stripping.

Always check fluid level in Neutral. Torque converter will not fill when in Park. I like using the A-518 (overdrive truck transmission) pan gasket with o-ringed bolt holes. It is more expensive than cork gasket, but it does not leak and is reusable.
The torque converter is exposed to 5-30psi of fluid pressure in park. In neutral the manual valve exposes more circuits to line pressure, giving an accurate reading of fluid that is being fully circulated. In park, line pressure is 5-30psi while in Neutral it's 55psi.

Auto Transport Service
Back