• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727?? Or anything else to bolt up to 440

Moose440

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Is there any overdrive automatic transmission that bolt up to a 440. I have to re do my 727 and just wanted to know if there something better I can put it. Also looking into a 5 speed if anyone has done one some infos would help. Thanks

I think the A-518 Overdrive would work and perhaps bolt right in. Depending on application, may have to slightly alter the trans tunnel in the floor and or crossmember. It's also known as the 46RH! Google it! Also good info on Hemmings about it.

Last edited:
None of the factory overdrive transmissions will bolt up to the B/RB engines without an adapter. They will bolt up to the small blocks easily enough, just not big blocks.

I think the A-518 Overdrive would work and perhaps bolt right in. Depending on application, may have to slightly alter the trans tunnel in the floor and or crossmember. It's also known as the 46RH! Google it! Also good info on Hemmings about it.
The 518 is a small block bellhousing but there are adapter kits to use with big blocks but are very pricey.

Somebody out there makes (...or made?) an O/D that bolted to B & RB engines. It was basically a GM 700R4 with a Mopar bolt pattern bell housing. It would fit under stock floor with no cutting, etc. Unfortunately, I can't remember name of the company that offered it.

Somebody out there makes (...or made?) an O/D that bolted to B & RB engines. It was basically a GM 700R4 with a Mopar bolt pattern bell housing. It would fit under stock floor with no cutting, etc. Unfortunately, I can't remember name of the company that offered it.
Silver Sport Transmissions. 5 sp stick, 4sp auto kits.

Another option is consider a Gear vendors OD and rebuild the 727.

So I have a 68 Newport. It’s a cbody I’m on all the forums I use this one mostly because you guys help with modded motors a bit more. I’m looking into prices for a new 727 a gear vendors or the 5sp conversion. There both very pricey.

John Cope, CRT, Has a setup on his web site for just what you're looking for with a lockup convertor.
He has a YouTube video explaining the cost difference between the 518 and the Gear Vendors setup.

If you are really thinking of going to a manual trans.
The A833 OD 4 speed would be a pretty low cost way to go.
Not a good race track unit but for a cruiser pretty good choice.

Let's put it this way: there is no INEXPENSIVE overdrive for a big block Mopar, stick or auto.
Adapter for a 518 and floor surgery, not cheap
Gear vendors, not cheap.
GM trans and adapter, not cheap.
Aftermarket 5 or 6 sp manual, than can stand the torque of a 440, certainly not cheap.
As above, the overdrive 833 (so actually a 3sp, with an overdrive) is probably the simplest solution for a big block 440 OD,
but I don't know how strong it is.

Auto Transport Service
Back