• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 output shaft spline sizes

multimopes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Just a quick question. I have to have my 727 rebuilt and I think I still have an old yoke from a 833 4spd tail. I used it to keep the fluid in the trans when removing, storing or transporting it. I believe it had 23 splines, it's been over 35 years so I'm not sure. Would this fit a 727 or is the spline count different. How about diameter? I know that the input shaft had 23 splines for most cars and light trucks and the RB, HP & Hemi ones had 18 if memory serves me. Just a curiosity. It would be nice to just stick that yoke in the *** end before lowering it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I think it will fit. Try it and worse case scenario, use a plastic bag and duct tape.
Mike

Thank You sir! I was hoping it would. Next step is to find the dern thing! If no good I will do as you suggested. I did, however, I forget to mention that the engine is a 440! Will that make a difference with the output shaft?

Last edited:
Thank You sir! I was hoping it would. Next step is to find the dern thing! If no good I will do as you suggested. I did, however, I forget to mention that the engine is a 440! Will that make a difference with the output shaft?
No.
Mike

Slip yokes are the same, although there are many different lengths. The length doesn't matter for what you're doing.

Output shaft size was the same on all 727's, 1965 and up. 904's were different. Input shaft diameter and spline count on 727's changed from small in 1966 to large in 1967. Also changed on 904's in 1968. Input shaft on lock-up transmission was different again.

Just a quick question. I have to have my 727 rebuilt and I think I still have an old yoke from a 833 4spd tail. I used it to keep the fluid in the trans when removing, storing or transporting it. I believe it had 23 splines, it's been over 35 years so I'm not sure. Would this fit a 727 or is the spline count different. How about diameter? I know that the input shaft had 23 splines for most cars and light trucks and the RB, HP & Hemi ones had 18 if memory serves me. Just a curiosity. It would be nice to just stick that yoke in the *** end before lowering it. Any help would be appreciated.
Easy to see the diff with a quick look.

Auto Transport Service
Back