• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Tourqeflite HELP

0DegreeEngineer

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
I recently removed my transmission and got it rebuilt was test driving today and attempted a hard acceleration from 65mph, the car then lurched tires screeched then shut off, I coasted to the side of the road placed it in park and restarted I appears to be driving fine shifts from 1-2 &2-3 just fine but I am wondering if the kickdown is missadjusted and kicked me I to reverse? Do I just need to adjust that or do I possibly have another issue. I have a 440 with a holley 750 and an Edelbrock RPM intake factory kickdown linkage I adjusted so it works the way it is shown in the video (I believe) I will recheck the adjustments tomorrow, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20230509_171627.jpg

I recently removed my transmission and got it rebuilt was test driving today and attempted a hard acceleration from 65mph, the car then lurched tires screeched then shut off, I coasted to the side of the road placed it in park and restarted I appears to be driving fine shifts from 1-2 &2-3 just fine but I am wondering if the kickdown is missadjusted and kicked me I to reverse? Do I just need to adjust that or do I possibly have another issue. I have a 440 with a holley 750 and an Edelbrock RPM intake factory kickdown linkage I adjusted so it works the way it is shown in the video (I believe) I will recheck the adjustments tomorrow, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 1465635

Kick down linkage will not put it in reverse. If the upshift points are correct it is set close to what it should be. The tire screech and killing the engine does sound serious.

I was not sure if it was reverse but my speedo jumped all over the place when it happened, possibly rebuilt incorrectly?

Sounds like it shifted back all the way to first, instead of just second. Abrupt overspeed stalled the engine. Think of like accidentally shifting a four speed from 3rd to 1st at 65 mph. As soon as you release the clutch, it's going to lock up the rear end and stall the motor.

Sounds like it shifted back all the way to first, instead of just second. Abrupt overspeed stalled the engine. Think of like accidentally shifting a four speed from 3rd to 1st at 65 mph. As soon as you release the clutch, it's going to lock up the rear end and stall the motor.
So I most likely have my kick down over adjusted causing it to kick down through second?

Or, when the tires get traction, the engine will overspeed.

I was on asphalt and it was dry so I believe I had traction the whole time
What speed did this happen at? From your 1st post you were on the throttle when this happened.

What speed did this happen at? From your 1st post you were on the throttle when this happened.
I was going roughly 65mph the pavement was dry, I accelerated to wot the transmission shifted the tires squealed the speedo kind of jumped back and forth it then shutdown and I coasted to the shoulder of the highway

I was going roughly 65mph the pavement was dry, I accelerated to wot the transmission shifted the tires squealed the speedo kind of jumped back and forth it then shutdown and I coasted to the shoulder of the highway
So had it made the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift before this happened?

Yes it had made the 1-2 2-3 shifts before hand
It sure seems like the car shut off ignition wise. I just cant see the transmission killing the motor at wot in high gear.

Ok yeah that's what it appears to be after starting and running another 20 miles without issue I will check the linkage and go from there.

Ok yeah that's what it appears to be after starting and running another 20 miles without issue I will check the linkage and go from there.
If your kick down was that far off your up shifts would be to.

Just a side note: When the trans let loose (locked up??) at highway speed on my 73 RR it also instantly shut down the engine. When we got everything back to normal we found the distributor has slid around under it's locking plate. Maybe it was not as tight as it should have been but you may want to check and confirm that it did not move. Just an FYI

Just a side note: When the trans let loose (locked up??) at highway speed on my 73 RR it also instantly shut down the engine. When we got everything back to normal we found the distributor has slid around under it's locking plate. Maybe it was not as tight as it should have been but you may want to check and confirm that it did not move. Just an FYI
He said after restarted it runs fine. So that did not happen.

I checked the kickdown and turns out it was fully pegged before wot so I readjusted the linkage at the carburetor and the linkage going from the intake to the transmission cam and will test drive later this week and recheck, thanks again for the input and I will let you all know what happens

I checked the kickdown and turns out it was fully pegged before wot so I readjusted the linkage at the carburetor and the linkage going from the intake to the transmission cam and will test drive later this week and recheck, thanks again for the input and I will let you all know what happens
If that was the case both up shifts should of been very high or delayed also.

If that was the case both up shifts should of been very high or delayed also.

So I did not end up test driving I found that I cannot adjust the linkage so that it works with wot and from idle to 2500 rpm so I either have the wrong bell crank lever or my current intake/carburetor setup is to tall or to far forward I am thinking about switching back to stock anybody have thoughts on this? I really don't want to burn up this transmission

Auto Transport Service
Back