• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Trans Lines what have you used with a aftermarket shifter..

67coronetman

Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
So here is the the thing i just converted back to a Automatic and i am using the Cheetah SCS Shifter well the factory trans lines are in great shape but i have bent the lines to make room for the Cable & Bracket but i was wondering have any of you guys made up a set using something different that was easy to route i have a good idea but i am always open to seeing & hearing from others that have done this same thing..... :)

Thanks Again and have a great day..... :)

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

You can bend them up out of straight steel tubing using the original fittings. Make templates out of coat hanger or welding rod. piec of cake.
doug

Thanks that is what i am doing but it always good to ask cause someone may have had a better idea than me..

I had to fabricate new path for mine because of headers and mini starter, so I used wire rod and once I got them figured out, I had a local guy bend some out of stainless.

Aluminum will help with the tranny fluid temp, just a thought.

I installed a Keisler 4 sped automatic and had all new lines fabricated, complete with a coupling that is located beside the transmission on the frame, that makes removal a lot easier.

Transmission Line Couplings

I put this in a reply, but it might be helpful to anyone who is contemplating a transmission swap. I put a Keisler 4 speed automatic in my '72 Road Runner, replacing the stock 727. I had a set of lines made by a local hydraulic shop to connect the transmission oil cooler lines to the radiator. I put a pair of disconnects in the middle of the lines where they run down the inside of the frame, to make it easy to remove the transmission in case I ever have to do that.

The connectors on a Keisler unit are on the right side, pretty much up high on the case, as opposed to the stock 727 so the routing of the lines may have to be different with the stock transmission. Just plan on routing them past the point where the transmission fittings are, the turn them back to make the connection. That way you don't have to make the lines to an exact measurement, because the fittings are swaged on and you have to cut them off to change the length of the lines themselves.

Here's the link:

Keisler Transmission Oil Cooler Lines

Why not use a braided line? I did this on my 727 and it fit great and I could route it the way I wanted.

I removed the factory type fittings from the trans and screwed in barb fittings for rubber trans cooler hose to slip on with a clamp...
I used just a short piece on each nipple and attached them to steel trans lines running all the way to my trans cooler. At that point, it was back to a couple short hoses to attach to the cooler barbed fittings...

Hard to beat the 5/16" steel line for the price.

Why not use a braided line? I did this on my 727 and it fit great and I could route it the way I wanted.

I didn't feel there was much of a "threat" in terms of having something that was going to cut or damage the lines. Tucked up next to the frame keeps them out of harms way. The braided line is more costly too. The lines do have steel in them but more to add strength. They are made to handle 3000 psi which is a lot more than they will need.

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to beat the 5/16" steel line for the price.

True, but remember this is a totally different transmission that the stock 727 and the cooler lines go into and out of it on the upper right side, as opposed to straight out the lower side on the 727. Plus it uses a telex cable for the shifter and it too is in a different place. That is why I routed the cooler lines down the right side of the frame, tucked up where they are out of the way and pretty much protected.

Auto Transport Service
Back