• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 trans pan leak

UFO68

Local time
3:57 PM
Reaction score
I've got a leak from the front (toward engine) of my trans pan that I'm pretty sure is just gasket related. I haven't worked on a 727 before so I want to make sure I get it right.

After doing some reading, I think the bolts should be about 12 ft/lb, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a torque pattern for the bolts to make sure it's even across the pan? If so, can y'all point me in the right direction to find that?

Is there a gasket that you fine folks would recommend me using?

Thanks!

Wipe everything off and wait. Most times it's not the pan, but the dipstick tube O ring or the throttle lever or shifter shaft seals that are leaking.

I’ve had good luck with the blue rubber gasket (not sure if rubber or silicon). But as Dadsbee said could well be leaking from above the pan. I wouldn’t worry about torquing. More harm is done by tightening the bolts to where the pan rails are distorted than it helps to seal the pan. I just snug them up in a back and forth approach just using the head of the ratchet to snug them down evenly in multiple passes and then going back every couple of drives to re-snug them until they and the gasket stabilize.

Take pan off. Straighten the entire pan rail. Glue a cork gasket to pan. Install and do not over torque. Those holes in the case strip very easy. I have helicoils for just such an occasion.

I eventually switched to a nice aluminum B&M pan. Same gasket attachment method. No leaks.

Wipe it clean, then take a shop towel and stuff it up by the shift lever. trans cooling lines too. No drops the next day….then check towel .

Wipe it clean, then take a shop towel and stuff it up by the shift lever. trans cooling lines too. No drops the next day….then check towel .
And do the same around the dipstick tube at the trans....

‎Mopar #02464324AC oil pan gasket. Reusable molded gasket.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-0246-4...ocphy=1014568&hvtargid=pla-571816565505&psc=1

I haven't used this with an original 727 pan, just the 518 (deeper pan) and aftermarket aluminum oil pans.

Check dipstick tube behind "O"-ring for cracks too.

If you need a RTV sealer for the transmission, the Mopar 05010664AD stuff works really good. Factory used it on some FWD transmissions that don't have oil pan gaskets.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chry...0ec78&pd_rd_wg=TuaFq&pd_rd_i=B008H2PL9S&psc=1

get it clean a nd dry with brake clean. Then puff some baby powder around the shift seal, dipstick tube , rear anchor pin, line fittings, and pan. Watch where it gets dark and damp. The stock gasket tightened with a nut driver will set you up good.
Doug

@UFO68 is your pan chromed? They tend to weep if mating flange is not prepped before install.

Auto Transport Service
Back