• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 will not go manually into 1st gear

harley78985

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a -74 Charger with a 360 engine. Since I bought the car I have had the problem that my tranny will not go manually into 1st gear (via shift selector). It works excellent in "D" and shifts through all 3 gears and can manually be placed into all other gears, but not 1st gear. I have checked the linkage, and that is not the problem. The selector lever on the tranny itself will not move into 1st position. May this be an adjustment issue or is it something damaged inside my tranny?
I really hope that you can give me an advice!

Best regards
Halvar, Norway

I would get the car to a lift or safely on stands and without slamming it in, put the lever into low, then get under the car, disconnect the linkage where the selector lever meets the rod from the linkage. I'll bet the selector is not going all the way into low at the tranny. Adjustment issue. make sure you check all positions. The only thing worse than no manual low is no park if you get my drift!

If you disconnected the linkage and verified the lever itself won't go into low then it's time to pull the pan.

try removing and replacing your shifter bushings.. they get worn and do not allow the selector lever to get emplaced into first as it is the furthest most shift point. happens alot.

Back