• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 340 rallye charger

What type of paint should I repaint my original 73 340 Rallye Charger?

• Basecoat/clearcoat

Votes: 63 62.4%
  • single stage (original)

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • doesn't matter

Votes: 10 9.9%

• Total voters
Our choices here in Canada have been limited due to environmental laws/changes we are having a harder time getting any thing but water born products and any thing that's not water born has gone up in value.Matter of face I bought base clear for my Sundance and then went back to the paint shop for more as a back up and could't even get it because every thing was swapped out for water borne paint.It sure would have been nice if they had of told me they were doing the change over!

They are pushing waterborn products over here too, but not as bad. The problem with it is that you have to buy special filters for your compressor, and you have to buy new guns. Not only that but the paint is alot more expensive now and it is a learning curve on spraying it. I just bought a brand new Anest Iwata gun and it is made out of all stainless steel parts so it can spray solvent or water born paints. This gun is the sh*t, it sprays awesome. I only use it for clearcoat, as I need to buy one for bases, but at a price tag of $600 it hard to do.

One other thing you didn't mention about the single stage, don't ever get a sag or run in it, cause they were next to impossible to sand out without noticing it or burning through.

Agree absolutely 100%. I was figgerin that sorta went without sayin. lol Single stage is just a LOT less forgiving.

I don't know this was my first attempt at a Single stage job
I thought it was fairly simple job

031-Copy.jpg

033-2.jpg

043-1.jpg

046-2.jpg

Shines pretty good if you ask me and Yes I sanded the **** out of it

It would make be things rough..

Our choices here in Canada have been limited due to environmental laws/changes we are having a harder time getting any thing but water born products and any thing that's not water born has gone up in value.Matter of face I bought base clear for my Sundance and then went back to the paint shop for more as a back up and could't even get it because every thing was swapped out for water borne paint.It sure would have been nice if they had of told me they were doing the change over!

The last i bought paint was for my 73 and ive known and worked with the guy a long time, he told me that i bought this as implement paint, (if asked)? but he explained what was happening and they don't want us "little" guys painting cars. I don't know if its the same up there with this stuff but sounds like it, How do the body shops go about buying paint for there work? or are you saying there stopping this kind of work to (trying)? If the body shop guys can get it there has to be a way it can be gotten.. the "water born" you mention sounds like latex house paint? It sure will suck if we get to the point we cant buy car paint anymore! Im sure if the government/state, EPA, whatever does something like this, there will be alternatives, It does sound like at this point you can still buy it but its expensive.. The worse we could think is "Naaa, it'll never happen" that would be our first mistake.

I paint several cars per year and actually have accounts at several paint suppliers that say I am a bodyshop, even though I do this on the side. I can get paint supplies for bodyshop prices minus 20%. I do buy alot though and my supplier knows me well. I don't want to have to go to waterborne paint, but I am slowing buying waterborne sprayers in case it goes that direction eventually. My last spray gun cost me $600. The difference is, it is all stainless steel so it won't rust with the waterborne stuff.

My last gun was 230 bucks on sale, its stainless im pretty sure.. been a very good one at least using Acrylic enamel..

Price out an Anest Iwata, their top of the line. I have sprayed every brand and every type of gun and this is the only gun I will buy from now on. It sprays unbelievable, to the point, where there is no orange peel in the paint.

I think just about every "factory spec" restoration I have seen have had two stage paint work on them.

Auto Transport Service
Back