• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 400 cu in rear main rope seal?

b_body_hopeful

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know where one can purchase a rear main rope seal these days for the 73 400 cubic inch
engine? Been looking everywhere. Must not be looking in the right places....
Thanks in advance.

The engine is in the car and I can't seem to stop the oil leaks like everyone else.....I have replaced the rubber ones twice now and just ordered a third set. Was asking cause I know that the rope seals conform much better to the crank and retainer than the new ones do.

Try for a Felpro BS11748 Summit show it
It is listed for early 383 but should be the same I do believe

The leaks can also come around the edge of the metal retainer. those side seals are always suspect to me. I have used 2 neoprene seals lately and not a drop of leaking. I always use the side seals, then also apply a bead of Permatex Max Oil Resistant RTV along both OUTSIDE edges of the metal retainer. Where it meets the block. May be hard to do with engine in the car, but easy on an engine stand. Good luck! I HATE LEAKS TOO ! LOL

You are so right Gary. Can't hardly see the back of the block to goop it up but might try before I put the retainer in.

Auto Transport Service
Back