• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73-74 roadrunner rear panel indent for tips?

Snoman

Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
Ok guys, do the 73-74 roadrunners have the rear indents in the rear valience panel for machine gun tips like the chargers do for the machine gun tips? Thanks

Ive never seen one.. I have a couple models based on a 73 that do not, but any ive seen at shows or anyone selling the valance panels ive never seen them.

If they do its because the car has been bottomed out and the exhaust tips pushed up the rear lower valence.

ok guys that is what i thought too, i was in a conversation with a guy and that question came up.... thanks

Hey, that's an expensive part us 73 owners don't have to buy!!

Chalk one up for the 73/74 crowd.

Anyone seen machine gun tips on a 73/74?

...Plymouth, that is.

plymouth as in roadrunner ? i thought they came on the roadrunners if ordered with tips?

My 73 Road Runner and my 73 400HP Satellite both came with the slotted tips.

Thanks. I couldn't remember if I'd ever seen them.

I suspected any 4 barrel dual exhaust car might have gotten them as well.
Thanks for confirming that.

I had a 74 RR w/360 4 bbl dual exhaust that didn't have tips but had the down turn exhaust.

...California cars almost never had tips, right?

I have a buddy that had a Petty blue 73 that swears to this day the rear valance on his car had the indents. He clearly remembers them and remembers polishing tips, etc. around the indents. He has one picture of the car, but doesn't show the rear. He currently owns another 73 (both are/were 400 - 4 speed cars). I believe him, but we have never seen another 73 RR with the indents as in 71-2. I'm thinking somebody put 71-2 valance on his car back in the day (should be the same ?) Dunno.

Here are my new Machine gun tips, next to the original ones! lol, love it. Looks like chrome exhaust tips were on all 73 roadrunner with a 318, 340, 400 and 440 with dual exhaust.

Attachments

• DSC04033small.jpg
    DSC04033small.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC04032small.jpg
    DSC04032small.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 435
tips

Here are my new Machine gun tips, next to the original ones! lol, love it. Looks like chrome exhaust tips were on all 73 roadrunner with a 318, 340, 400 and 440 with dual exhaust.

No indentations ever on 73-74s have owned them both since 76, all have had tips, but the were an option, currently own 3 all 400 4 speeds. all with tips and no identations on rear valances. Also own 73 Rally Charger the DO have indentations for tips, also 400 4 speed. If you use factory hangers for tips on RR's, they will be about half to three quaters of an inch below the valance.

Does any one know the correct overall length ( from longest point end to end ) for a 73 RR Machine GUN Tips. Thanks for any help. Just BeepIn'

idrivemopar how are they holding the tips to the pipes are they using u bolts? Thanks

The tips are held in the exhaust pipe, which originally was flared and slotted on 4 sides if you will so the tip would go into this flared end, and then was clamped with a special type of clamp, shown below.

Additionally, the tips as i showed in the above picture, have a right angle hanger that goes into a rubber mount that bolts to the body.

Attachments

• sr173.jpg
    sr173.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 337
Auto Transport Service
Back