• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73/74 RR/Sat guys please step in, battery/starter cable question?

idrivemopar

Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
So, I have been looking for a new positive battery/starter cable, got to looking around on fleay bay and whatnot and found a bunch of cables that said they were for small block Mopar b-body or 71-74 small block b-body, but they look nothing like the one off of my car. So then I came across a cable that looks exactly like mine, correct wire color, ends, etc, but everywhere I find one, it says its for a 68-70 big block b-body.

So, my question, does anyone else with 73/74 Roadrunner or Satellite small block have a battery/starter cable that looks like this?

batt & starter cable.jpg

Would like to know as its possible someone could have changed the relay and cable back in the day.

Some humor to go along with the question.
The first guy I called, because his ebay page said to call with any questions, so I did, couldn't tell me the cable length, would not sell me one once I mentioned it was for a small block because he said its not for a small block, and he gets too many returns, and it would take him a week to get a measurement because he didn't have time because he had to call other customers that had 5K of orders with him. Anyway ended up getting in a argument with him, and told him to FO if he didn't want my money I would buy else where, which I did, and for 30 bucks cheaper then this jagoff.

Im away from home right now, but it looks the same as the cable off of my 74 satellite with a 318. Ill be back in a day or two and i can take a picture then.

That looks like the ones I've seen. Here is a pic of the battery cable out of my 74 Road Runner.
74runnerbatcab.jpg

Attachments

• 74runnerbatcab.jpg
    74runnerbatcab.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 280
Thanks for posting, so I was right and the clown that didn't want to sell me one lost a sale!!! Good!

Those took a special cable because the relay is mounted on the firewall. So the wires to it are extra long. Some folks repop them noe but they are way expensive. I bought a 37 incher from Roseville and extended the relay wires. Inlinf solder connection covered whit heat shrink insulstion then wrapped in cloth tape. Looks original and about 40-50 bucks rather than 250$

I found one that is this layout, 43" length, and only 45 bucks. Appears its made by Goodmark, but I don't know how the quality is yet, will know when it arrives in a few days.

I found one that is this layout, 43" length, and only 45 bucks. Appears its made by Goodmark, but I don't know how the quality is yet, will know when it arrives in a few days.

Hey, would you mind posting of pic of that cable when it does arrive. I'd like to see what it looks like and how it measures out as well.

Here is the cable I got today, its longer then my original, however, the terminal side to the battery was hacked shorter decades ago because the wires were trashed and corroded. Did a dry fit, and should be good. Will know for certain once the motor is in, but I don't see any issues reaching the starter, and the cable is a bit longer to the relay on the firewall, however, that's good, as it will now route better.

battery cable.jpg

Here is the cable I got today, its longer then my original, however, the terminal side to the battery was hacked shorter decades ago because the wires were trashed and corroded. Did a dry fit, and should be good. Will know for certain once the motor is in, but I don't see any issues reaching the starter, and the cable is a bit longer to the relay on the firewall, however, that's good, as it will now route better.

View attachment 127687
That looks pretty good! I know you said you thought it was a Goodmark cable - where did you get it from?

I found it on eBay.

Thanks.

I got one of the short ones and made it work but it really is too short. Thought about the earlier big block and now see it is a direct equal to my small block.... Which actually makes sense since they both have the starter in the same place.

Will order the same for me.

If you can look up dodgerken on ebay, he has the best price, the guy from Columbia auto parts is a jackass and his price is 30 bucks higher for the same cable.

Auto Transport Service
Back