• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Bulge Hood problem

redrr

Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so my experience with media blasting a project car is a little disappointing. My hood , fender seem to have some warping. I got most of it out of the fender (enough to let bondo handle the rest) . the problem is my hood. It has a downward concave on the scoop area. If I use a straightedge there is more than a 1/8 " under the center (see pictures).
Anyone with experience with this please throw me an idea of how to handle this.

20170508_095806[1].jpg

I am sorry to say not much can be done to help. A novice at a shop ruined my deck lid after his boss told him NOT to blast it and to chemical strip it. Sorry for your loss.

Your going to have to fix it I don't think you can fix it without filler ! Use dura glass

maybe I should just dura glass it .cut my losses.. or should I try messing with the metal?
One option you can try is to heat the metal in the center of the area with a small torch and then take a rag with ice cold water to quench it. This may help contract the metal and lessen the dent. Otherwise its filler time... I had a near perfectly straight bulge hood and I have filler on mine as well as a couple coats of high build polyester primer. I used soft sanders to follow the bulge edges and they have worked well...

image.jpeg

One option you can try is to heat the metal in the center of the area with a small torch and then take a rag with ice cold water to quench it. This may help contract the metal and lessen the dent. Otherwise its filler time... I had a near perfectly straight bulge hood and I have filler on mine as well as a couple coats of high build polyester primer. I used soft sanders to follow the bulge edges and they have worked well...

View attachment 421560
should I heat from the underside or doesn't matter?

Be warned if you heat it it doesn't mean it will straiten in the right direction it might get worse !

should I heat from the underside or doesn't matter?

It shouldn't matter, I would do the top side so you can quench that metal fast when its gets really hot. Clean the area well so you don't burn your primer off! lol Then you will need to reprimer after you clean it again.

I have a weld on dent puller that I used quite a bit on my rear quarters. It welds a stud to the metal and you use a slide hammer to pull it out, you just work the dent slowly. The problem is you will always have high spots from where the metal was stretched. Hopefully the heat/ice will convince the metal to contract again.

It doesn't look to terrible to me I would cut my losses now use a high dollar filler and a case of beer and smooth it out !

It doesn't look to terrible to me I would cut my losses now use a high dollar filler and a case of beer and smooth it out !
That does seems like a good idea...particularly that last part... For what it is worth, I used Rage Ultra on mine and have really liked it. Feathers out nicely and now they make an extender if you want really long work times before it kicks.

I had a 71 rr hood ruined at a sand blast shop. They put a rookie on the job when the boss was on vacation. I had to threaten the shop with a small court case. Before he agreed to buy me a new one. Then I had 3.
20170216_085201-1.jpg

View attachment 421560
Totally agree! I have taken a lot of imperfections out using heat then ice cold water. Metal has some memory even when bent.

I'm scared of blasting I'll blast floors and under carriage but that's about it finish body is all by hand .

Just my 6 cents but keep in mind the more you work that spot it will grow & become brittle. If you do not have much experience I would suggest getting a PDR guy to stop by at take it out for you , might cost you $100 but save the hood from a mud job. At most you would end up with a paper thin coat of Rage ect.

I'm thinking .. no more blasting

I used the dustless blasting and didn't have any warp-age. The surface needs primed immediately and it is a huge pain to get all the sand out of the crevices when your done! But it was worth it for me as the old mud work was terrible and cracked!

Auto Transport Service
Back