• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger 340 rallye - dash cluster replacement?

donlde73

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
hey everyone, just browsing the forum for different topics. I love this forum for the best info. I am getting ready to replace the rallye dash cluster assembly in my '73 and was wondering a silly question that I think I already know, but will ask anyway. can the dash cluster be changed out with everything in place or does the steering wheel assembly have to come away. really don't want to drop anything don't have to. never done this to a b body 73 before. I think it can be done with every thing in place, but I have been wrong before. just would like another opinion before get started and get in too deep if y'all know what I am talking 'bout. thanks for any input and merry x-mas to all.

Attachments

• image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 379
You will have to at least drop the wheel from the dash and unbolt from the fire wall. Otherwise you will bot get the cluster past it.
Beautiful 73 BTW.

thanks for info. makes sense. not that big a thing to drop the wheel I guess. happy holiday's

I don't think it needs to be unbolted from the firewall.

In fact, you may get away with loosening the three nuts that hold the column to the dash (with the star washers and rectangular plastic breakaway spacers) as far as you can.

Sometimes that gives you enough room, sometimes it doesn't. If not, you can then easily lay the wheel/column on the seat.

Thanks for reply. Will be doing it this saturday. Have great holiday!

All you need to do is unbolt the steering column just enough to drop it down,but don't forget about the heater control panel there is one bolt thats hard to see if you miss that one you will break the rally dash frame real easy when you're trying to pull the cluster free. Good luck.

Thanks alot. Will be doing it tomorrow. Switching it and the passenger side ac vent piece both over to wood grain. Thanks for all info. Will post results after finished with this job. Love this forum for everyone's idea's so these first time jobs are not intimidating. Forbbodiesonly is hands down best forum site for all types of things. Happy new years to everyone @ b bodies.

I agree with YY. I've swapped the clusters twice and only had to lower the steering column. Just take your time and be careful and you'll be fine.

I agree with YY. I've swapped the clusters twice and only had to lower the steering column. Just take your time and be careful and you'll be fine.

For a first-timer, it would probably be safe to unbolt from the firewall to give as much working space for the cluster.

Donald, as others said, work slow and carefully, and you should be okay.

Been there, done that fellas. The 73 has the rag joint as well as the steering coupler. Unbolting the column from the dash will let it drop about an inch. It needs to unbolted from the firewall.
AND be sure to put a towel over the column when you slide out the cluster or you'll be painting that as well.
Here is a pic where you can clearly see the column unbolted from the dash but bolted to the firewall. Drops about an inch.
But, another option might be to just unbolt from the dash and pull the wheel ... that may work.
S4012052.jpg

I have to agree with ODZ, I have a 74 and it is a very tight fit as the column does not drop much if the rag joint is tight I unbolted at the firewall to get more room to work. more room = good

Auto Transport Service
Back