• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger handling

turboram

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
hello I'm new here as you can tell.I have a 73 bb charger and was wandering if there is any tricks to improve handling over stock on these big old beasts.thanks

Check the excellent-as-usual article regarding '73 & later B , F , J , M and R bodies in the latest Mopar Action issue .

I'm in the process of replacing all the bushings with the energy suspension kit. Also replacing the shocks with a set of kyb gas-a-just. We pretty much do this on all the old cars we work on. So far its been a night and day difference.

Another good item to replace is the rubber mounts on the k frame and replace them solid mounts.

Ya i replaced the K-member rubber mounts out and that alone was noticeable. Order the P-S-T front end kit. Get the front/rear Sway bars, depending on what your doing with the car swap out the torsion bars. The SB torsion bars are great for drag racing and the BB torsion bars are decent handlers but the HEMI bars are real stiff.

As 72 Coronet said Pick up the new issue (August 2010) of Mopar Muscle. They upgrade a 73 RR with everything. Great article to read.

hello I'm new here as you can tell.I have a 73 bb charger and was wandering if there is any tricks to improve handling over stock on these big old beasts.thanks

I am also having hard time to improve my handling stock. I think there is no trick for that. :D

Big improvement, Urethane Body bushings from energy suspension!!!! Seriously get rid of that rubber **** and if for some reason someone put aluminum bushing its get em out.

I would seriously roll around a corner and slop around with the rubber bushings. Urethane's are on and its a lot tighter.

Get QA1 adjustable shocks at all 4 corners and you can dial in to exactly what your looking for. Front/Rear swap bars from Addco help a lot. Mopar performance rear springs or even better is order up the Cal-Trac rear suspension. Also your front Torsion bars get weak after awhile I'd replace them with 0.960" HEMI bars and get them dialed in. Also if you have a welder make up a front Engine support sway bar from fender to fender. You'll also want to get the weld in frame connectors from Mopar Performance(just make sure its a thick gauge steel).

Big improvement, Urethane Body bushings from energy suspension!!!! Seriously get rid of that rubber **** and if for some reason someone put aluminum bushing its get em out.

I would seriously roll around a corner and slop around with the rubber bushings. Urethane's are on and its a lot tighter.

Get QA1 adjustable shocks at all 4 corners and you can dial in to exactly what your looking for. Front/Rear swap bars from Addco help a lot. Mopar performance rear springs or even better is order up the Cal-Trac rear suspension. Also your front Torsion bars get weak after awhile I'd replace them with 0.960" HEMI bars and get them dialed in. Also if you have a welder make up a front Engine support sway bar from fender to fender. You'll also want to get the weld in frame connectors from Mopar Performance(just make sure its a thick gauge steel).

Dude, what are you saying about aluminum bushings?
Engine support sway bar?
.960 HEMI torsion bars for a '73? Got a part number on them?
Please explain, I am a little foggy on what you are saying here.

Dude, what are you saying about aluminum bushings?
Engine support sway bar?
.960 HEMI torsion bars for a '73? Got a part number on them?
Please explain, I am a little foggy on what you are saying here.

Hey, I meant the K-member bushings. They made aluminum ones in the late 70s for 73+ B,C and F bodies. Cop cars got solid iron then aluminum now PST/Energy Suspension made Polyurethane Bushings.
If you replace all the rubber(engine mount,trans mount,K-member,leaf spring front/rear mounts,axle to leaf mount.) That will change the car completely for the better.

The Torsion bars for our B-bodies 73/74, i don't have the mopar parts number. I would contact P-S-T for their bars.

Seriously pick up Mopar Muscle Magazine "August 2010" It's show you all the upgrades and how they work in more detail.

Ya i replaced the K-member rubber mounts out and that alone was noticeable. Order the P-S-T front end kit. Get the front/rear Sway bars, depending on what your doing with the car swap out the torsion bars. The SB torsion bars are great for drag racing and the BB torsion bars are decent handlers but the HEMI bars are real stiff.

As 72 Coronet said Pick up the new issue (August 2010) of Mopar Muscle. They upgrade a 73 RR with everything. Great article to read.
Might research the P-S-T front end kit. From other boards I've read, the higher priced poly bushings squeek. Locals also say go with the rubber bushings.

I've got Moog bushings in my 73 Roadrunner and Poly's in my 69 Valiant. I can't say there is a huge difference in the feel of the control arms in a street orientated vehicle.
I replaced the Iso-K member mounts in the Roadrunner and that made a huge difference in the feel of the car.

Hemi's weren't available in 73 or 74 so there wouldn't be a hemi bar option. For better handling bars, you need to get into the 1.0 range.......

Auto Transport Service
Back