• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger ignition system questions

Curt Chambers

Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
At some point in my car's life someone converted it to a points ignition. I now have all the components to put it back to an electronic ignition. But I don't have any reference on how things were installed.

1. How and where is the ballast resistor installed? The one that was on there had the single contacts and mounted with a metal bracket. The one I got has the double contacts but no mounting hardware. And it's much thicker than the other one. I don't think it will mount where the old one was.
2. The book says that the ICM can be mounted on the firewall or left fender. Anyone have a photo of a factory mounting location? I couldn't find any existing holes where the unit would be mounted, unless someone used them for something else.
3. Following the book procedure for installing the distributor, I have the rotor pointed towards #1 tower. My engine came back from the builder set at #1 TDC and has not been disturbed. But the slot in the drive gear is 90 degrees off from where it should be. Can I pull that drive gear out and re-index it?

Thanks

Curt

upload_2019-5-8_20-35-37.png

Try this. you will find lots of info here.

Last edited:
3. Following the book procedure for installing the distributor, I have the rotor pointed towards #1 tower. My engine came back from the builder set at #1 TDC and has not been disturbed. But the slot in the drive gear is 90 degrees off from where it should be. Can I pull that drive gear out and re-index it?

Yes.

I had to make it in fact, because the MP dist rotor ( mallory made ) is around 90 degrees off from stock dist and with drive gear in stock location the rotor won't match with #1 on cap.

But stock is just like this

Big block
IMG_1030.JPG

Small block
IMG_1031.JPG

So how do I resolve this? Designate a new terminal as the #1 and go from there?

I'm telling you can reindex the drive gear to set the slot as needed without take care about the factory set up. You can use a long screwdriver, spin it on the opposite direction to release it from the camshaft gear. This will lift up the drive gear, spin it and reinsert spining it on the correct rotation direction at the whished point

Auto Transport Service
Back