• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 hideaway conversion

Gargemel78

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
I think I have most of the answers, but a couple questions. First can I use the main bumper brackets off a 72 on my 73? I know there’s a gap between the fender and the bumper on a 73 and is not on a 72 , also what all smaller brackets will need to be changed over. I’m assuming the upper strap that goes from the bumper to the core support will need changed? And the bump pads in the fenders?

I assume you're talking about a Charger.

I don't think the bumper to fender distance is an issue.

The real issue is that the headlight buckets for hideaway cars position the headlights about an inch lower. That is to say they are different parts than on a non hideaway car. I believe the headlight doors will hit the light bulbs if you use the wrong ones.

I'm sure you can move/mod the ones you have, but be aware.

...and no 71/72 bumper brackets won't work on 73/74 cars.

The K frame and front frame horns are different, and so are the brackets where they bolt together.

As mentioned in several posts "simply" slot your 73/74 bracket holes if you want to move the front bumper closer in like 71/72.

Could someone tell if these are 72 or 73 Brackets?

3D0CA985-F714-429B-9C2A-61615C6DE9CA.jpeg 49519312-4F0D-4154-9264-5E3D6B55064D.jpeg

Well they don't look my 72 brackets, close though! Mine all look like the bracket closest

I’m really hopeful they are 73 brackets but I have so much crap from so many cars. At this point I think this is the only set I have. So hopefully it works

the holes on the 72 brackets are about 7/8" higher or lower (dang can't remember) than the 73 because of the ISO K frame.

Actually it's the whole portion of the bracket, after the bend.

...and that's why they don't interchange.

Can you tell if that bumper had the big guard brackets on it, that would be a clue, although the bumpers do interchange on the brackets.

I didn’t think the 71-72 brackets had the round pcs that curves down at one end, not sure what’s that’s for maybe towing?

Auto Transport Service
Back