• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 roadrunner

fastphil

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Hi, can someone tell me the factory location for a 73 roadrunner horn, and if it was black, mine is mounted behind the grill near the driiver side headlight

My 74 RR horn is purple and is mounted on pass side behind headlights. Bolt goes through top of fender if I remember right. I would take a pic for you but my car is in a million pieces right now getting body work done to it. If color is an issue with you, Home Depot has a color that is a very close match in their spray can section. I bought a can and can give you the name of the color if you are interested. There is another thread going concerning this as I saw it a couple of weeks ago and went out and bought the paint and ordered a decal online. Hope this helps

My 73 has purple horns, mounted behind driver side head light assembly.

73 and 74 factory rr horns were black, the purple were the earlier models. And the most popular.

And behind the headlights

I don't think that is true, as the horn in my RR was original to the car, and its purple. I also have a friend that has an all original survivor 73 RR with purple horn!!!! I know this subject has been debated many times, and not sure if there is a real clear cut answer.

There are 4 places on the b body to mount horns in the factory locations depending on model and some had dual horns on one bracket...

Yes, my factory horn is purple and is behind the passengers head light assembly.

My 34,000 mile Roadrunner has a purple horn behind the pass side head lights.

I pulled a 37k mile 73 road runner out of a barn in the upper peninsula that had not been touched since tagged in 81...had a black horn behind passenger headlight and I would put my word on it never having been moved or touched, that being said I had a 73 RR parts car for my satty that was wasted but original from a swamp/back yard (same thing here in Michigan) and it had original horn mounts behind the drivers side headlights...so in my opinion and knowing Chrysler corp. you are all probably right ;)

Roadrunner production numbers fell drastically from 1971 to 1972. Chrysler may have pre-ordered a bunch of purple horns for the 1972 model year, and then did not get through all of them with the low number of 1972 RR produced. They would of then used them on the 1973 model year until they ran out - then started using the black horns they ordered for the remainder of 1973.

You guys should start a new thread or continue this thread, and reply with the color of your horn and the year/month of production of your car. That way you can see if it is a early production/late production thing for 1973, or if it is truly random. Good luck! Scott.

Ok. Here goes one more.

73 with a build date February '73. And a purple horn.

image.jpg

My dad special ordered his 73 Road Runner new in March of 73', build date was 4/73 IIRC.
Original horn was purple, mounted behind right front headlights.
With that being said, I have seen many 73-74 RR's with black horns and purple horns mounted in either left or right fender locations behind the headlights. The one common thing I have noticed is that my dads car was built in St Louis, and I always wondered if the Windsor built cars were mounted on the left side, and St Louis cars on the right???
Or was it a Big Block vs. Small block thing? My dads car is a 440 (GTX) option car with A/C........

The Road runner up on ebay on another thread is also a February '73 car with a purple horn.

Mine is a 74 built in early Dec 73 and had a single black horn located behind the passenger headlight.

Auto Transport Service
Back