• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger SE: 440 3 speed auto conversion from 4.10 to 3.23....?

74ChargerSE440

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
For obvious reasons I am orienting on the conversion of my 74 440 3 speed auto charger from a 741 4.10 sure grip back to a 3.23 the car came with from factory. I don't have mutch clues at this point. Any do's and don'ts and tops and flops are very appreciated.

1689016974340.png

1689015841317.png

Are you just swapping the 3rd member out whole, or installing new 3.23 gears in the 4.10 unit? The first is straight forward. The second takes a little skill.

A gear vendors overdrive would reduce it to almost the same final ratio.
Just a thought.

Are you just swapping the 3rd member out whole, or installing new 3.23 gears in the 4.10 unit? The first is straight forward. The second takes a little skill.
Well first I don't have any 'technical' skills. Secondly I want to go back to stock configuration. That's what I want, but don't know what it takes. According to the seller it has the original 8 3/4 rear end. So, I was hoping it's just swapping the pinion and ring gear?

Well first I don't have any 'technical' skills. Secondly I want to go back to stock configuration. That's what I want, but don't know what it takes. According to the seller it has the original 8 3/4 rear end. So, I was hoping it's just swapping the pinion and ring gear?
Easiest thing to do is swap the pumpkin.

Easy if both are the same u-joint. But there are combination u-joints available.

Swapping the pumpkin is the way to go since you have limited skills. You can price them online new, or buy a good used 3.23 Sure Grip (spins BOTH tires) for around $400-600. You'll want one with the larger yoke to match up to your existing driveshaft, and best to have a pumpkin casing with the casting # ending in "742" or "489". It's a 1-hour job for an experienced mechanic, so you could always have a shop install it at reasonable cost.

It's not that complicated to do yourself if you want to give it a go. Some basic tools, a few gaskets, and some silicon sealer. I'm sure there are a multitude of Youtube videos that walk through the subject.

Edit: I see you are in the Netherlands, so an entire pumpkin may be cost prohibitive. In that case, consider buying some new 3.23 gears that fit your existing pumpkin and have a mechanic do the work. Try these guys for info:

RANDYS Worldwide | One Stop Differential & Drivetrain Shop

1st- 1974 is too late for a 741 casting "pumpkin".

Factory stock would have been a 489 casting.

Second- Changing a ring and pinion set requires special tools like a dial indicator, and knowledge of how to use one.
This is something that "usually" requires someone "seasoned" IE that has done it many times.

Last edited:
3rd- Swapping the chunk or pumpkin is WAY easier if you can find a known good unit and, as mentioned above, it has the correct size yoke for the U joint.

Take off the wheels, take off the brake drums, unbolt the axle retainers, slide out the axle shafts.
Remove the U joint, unbolt the chunk. (don't lose the button).

Reverse, but also set the axle end play on the side that has the adjuster.

...and 600 is probably a little light for a good, possibly guaranteed sure grip chunk.

There may be one or more for sale here, or on FABO.

In spite of being in the Netherlands swapping the pumpkin is the way to go & chances are someone nearby will want your 4:10 enough that they will do the swap & it won't cost you much if anything...

Swapping the pumpkin is the way to go since you have limited skills. You can price them online new, or buy a good used 3.23 Sure Grip (spins BOTH tires) for around $400-600. You'll want one with the larger yoke to match up to your existing driveshaft, and best to have a pumpkin casing with the casting # ending in "742" or "489". It's a 1-hour job for an experienced mechanic, so you could always have a shop install it at reasonable cost.

It's not that complicated to do yourself if you want to give it a go. Some basic tools, a few gaskets, and some silicon sealer. I'm sure there are a multitude of Youtube videos that walk through the subject.

Edit: I see you are in the Netherlands, so an entire pumpkin may be cost prohibitive. In that case, consider buying some new 3.23 gears that fit your existing pumpkin and have a mechanic do the work. Try these guys for info:

RANDYS Worldwide | One Stop Differential & Drivetrain Shop
Thanks! Now in search of a 489 pumpkin with a 3.23 in it.

3rd- Swapping the chunk or pumpkin is WAY easier if you can find a known good unit and, as mentioned above, it has the correct size yoke for the U joint.

Take off the wheels, take off the brake drums, unbolt the axle retainers, slide out the axle shafts.
Remove the U joint, unbolt the chunk. (don't lose the button).

Reverse, but also set the axle end play on the side that has the adjuster.

...and 600 is probably a little light for a good, possibly guaranteed sure grip chunk.

There may be one or more for sale here, or on FABO.

Just like this one from 4 years ago: SOLD - Mopar 489 case 3.23 ratio open
1689108662588.png

I checked my pumpkin and fortunately the seller was wrong. I have a 489 case and not a 741! So now I only have to new 3.23 gears. Correct?

1689531316792.png
1689531345222.png

Yes you can buy a gears, bearings and seals for that brand new. There are several vendors on line.

Auto Transport Service
Back