• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 charger small block header install

jjg73

Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
Just dropped my 340 in, did it from top down. Didn't put headers on first or set them in the bay. Is that the easiest method for install? Only have bell housing bolts in now, so wouldn't be hard to remove and pick the engine up again. Seems almost impossible to get them in with the engine mounted. Thanks!

The engine will have to be lifted for the left side for sure. Right side is easier.

Drag link, starter, spark plugs should be removed.
Got to get the car up high enough so you can stand the header up to install it.
I ran headers on a '75 Cordoba with a 360 in the '90s so my memory is a little fuzzy.
Oil filter needs to be removed. Need a 90 degree adapter if you don't already have one.

Transmission can be bolted up. Remove the distributor so it doesn't hit anything when you raise the engine. Loosen the trans mount.

Anything else? I've gotten too old to fool with headers anymore. I once removed one in a parking lot at a muffler shop so they could weld up a crack. Those days are over.

Anything else? I've gotten too old to fool with headers anymore. I once removed one in a parking lot at a muffler shop so they could weld up a crack. Those days are over.

It's looking like the drag link runs through the header itself, so that's gonna need pulled regardless

Got it figured out and it sucked! Dropped the drag link jacked it up in the air and spent 3 hours getting it going. Needed to move oil filter head back too, royal pain but hope it helps someone else out there!

Auto Transport Service
Back