• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 SE grill fasteners?

Rebel74

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the information/specs for the fasteners (screws) that attach the grill to the car? Also for the ones that attach the headlamp shroud thingy to the grille? (There's the grill, the inner shroud thing, and then the "cups" that fit to the inner shroud. I need to know what size/thread screws for the grill to body and for the inner shroud thingy to grill.)

I have looked everywhere and can't find anyone actually selling a set of grill fasteners (although there are sets available for other year B bodies). Will another year model work? OR does it have to be 71-74 specific? Otherwise I'm gonna have to go to the local hardware store and try to "match" what I can...

The IPB should have part numbers and then look them up to get the screw dimensions.

Does anyone know where I can get the information/specs for the fasteners (screws) that attach the grill to the car? Also for the ones that attach the headlamp shroud thingy to the grille? (There's the grill, the inner shroud thing, and then the "cups" that fit to the inner shroud. I need to know what size/thread screws for the grill to body and for the inner shroud thingy to grill.)

I have looked everywhere and can't find anyone actually selling a set of grill fasteners (although there are sets available for other year B bodies). Will another year model work? OR does it have to be 71-74 specific? Otherwise I'm gonna have to go to the local hardware store and try to "match" what I can...
OK, I just went out to the shop and located the shroud bolts and grill screws.

Bolts are 1/4 - 20, 7/8 inch long with 9/16" wide washer. The heads are 7/16 inch. You will need 12 of these (6 on each side).
Screws are #10 X 2 1/4" black sheet metal screws with rounded cross point heads. Again you need 12 of these.

Hope that helps. Would be great if you could locate a donor vehicle. There are some out there I'm sure.

Last edited:
Ok... so no luck at the local hardware store (which usually has ANYTHING no matter how obscure or hard to find). Home Depot definitely didn't have anything. Online, I see 71-72 grille fastener kits, but no 74. So I am wondering if the hardware for a 71 or 72 grill would fit a 74 SE? OR if maybe the fasteners for some other Mopar grill could be made to work? Surely the grill screws and bolts for a 74 SE aren't wholly and entirely unique?

Ok... so no luck at the local hardware store (which usually has ANYTHING no matter how obscure or hard to find). Home Depot definitely didn't have anything. Online, I see 71-72 grille fastener kits, but no 74. So I am wondering if the hardware for a 71 or 72 grill would fit a 74 SE? OR if maybe the fasteners for some other Mopar grill could be made to work? Surely the grill screws and bolts for a 74 SE aren't wholly and entirely unique?
If your hardware search is coming up empty finding exact replacement parts I'm not surprised. I think there are still places you can find the bolts and screws I mentioned earlier. They won't be identical to originals but will be functional. If you still strike out then I expect finding a donor vehicle or maybe someone on the Charger boards that has a stash of things like that. Sorry I can't help you out in that department.

All bulletin boards I know of had a parts wanted area to post what you are looking for. Sometimes it takes a while to locate them though. There must be some folks that hoard stuff like this for just these occasions.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to grille, not headlamp adjusters. I have a couple left over from my 73 resto, screws and the plastic fastener that goes in the sheet metal. Let me take some pics for you. stand by.

Here you go

20220616_160939.jpg

20220616_160951.jpg

20220616_160650.jpg

20220616_160617.jpg

Grill in my case.

OK, this is a drill size and fits into 5/32 snugly. 11/64 is a bit loose. Yes 2" long by my measure but a little longer or shorter won't be an issue as I recall. But as you can see they stick through quite a bit. I've scraped my hands many times on those buggers.

20220617_140309.jpg

20220617_135706.jpg

20220617_135604.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I really appreciate the help you've given! Seriously, you're helping me out quite a bit here.

My pleasure. When we took mine apart I took hundreds of pictures. BUT I still needed help with sizes and what goes where even though I marked baggies with screws and so on. There were certain things I didn't have pics of, or a bad angle and so on.
If it weren't for a few folks here and on DC dot com and 71-74 site, I would have been lost.
My website has a bunch of info too.
Retro Rarities, Dodge Charger Information Look under 'our cars' for links.

Auto Transport Service
Back