• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 switch from linear to ralley dash

barbiebandit

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Rookie with a 74 satellite with the regular linear / horizontal instrument cluster.
NOt working:
FUel guage
TEmp
ALternator guage
CLock (no hands - looks like never was there)

WOrking:
wiper and washer
LIghts and instrument cluster light fader
SPeedometer
ODometer

SO i want to swap to a ralley dash.

I Have a B&M shifter for a 3speed auto 727 and want a tach to make the most of it without messing things up as i am pretty sure the cam is forged as i have a 2bbl and am moving to a 4bbl soon and based on my other thread discussion not changing the cam.

ANyway... i see ralley dash come in variety of instrument configurations. ideally i want one with a tach, but worst case i will mount a tach and shift light somewhere external.

MY question:

DO the existing wiring harness / connectors all just plug into the rallye dash? Do i have to look for a rallye dash with specific i struments that match up what is in my current cluster? what are the gotchas? Also, if i buy a ralley dash and want to swap the instruments in it with others i source (e.g. a clock to tach) is this a no brainer job or is there a gotcha?

PS - if you have a rallye dash at a reasonable price PM me. I found a couple local but they both have messed up fuel guages and have no tach, which is my ideal if possible.

In a nutshell, there are two basic variations of the ’71-74 Rallye cluster, with a tach (or clock) and without. Minor variations for the model years. The original tach and clock are physically interchangeable. The Rallye dash harnesses are not the same as the standard cluster, basically the connections to the cluster are different, and wiper switch location is different. That said, with some electrical skills the standard dash harness can be reworked to support a Rallye cluster.

In a nutshell, there are two basic variations of the ’71-74 Rallye cluster, with a tach (or clock) and without. Minor variations for the model years. The original tach and clock are physically interchangeable. The Rallye dash harnesses are not the same as the standard cluster, basically the connections to the cluster are different, and wiper switch location is different. That said, with some electrical skills the standard dash harness can be reworked to support a Rallye cluster.
THank you...

"THe connections are different..." meaning the plastic male/female connectors at the end of the wires? I just need to use existing wires and buy correct end connectors to splice on?

You will need these Rallye specific bulb sockets and connectors to start with.
DSC08944r_zps55e0f21e.jpg

Standard cluster uses a circuit board for most of the lighting and gauge connections.
Rallye
DSC00034.jpg

Standard, disregard the circle.
DSC06564r.jpg

Last edited:
It's all about the goes intos and the goes outtas. :) The wire for the fuel gauge of a standard dash also goes to the one on a Rally dash, but you may need to shorten or lengthen said wire to make if fit. The important thing is to have a roll of masking tape nearby, and make a label for each wire you take off. Then look for where these same locations are on the Rallye cluster and splice new wires in, or shorten, as needed.

Do youeself a favor and use an rally dash wiring. Also, there is 2 kind of rally dash. One without a tach/clock and one with.
IMG_0935.JPG

What's a non-tach rallye cluster worth these days?
Tough to say. I saw a cluster with a tach that also came with a clock in case you wanted to swap them out. Asking price was $100 and it was gone before I could contact the guy. I've seen clusters with tachs listed on ebay for $300-$400 for months and months and months.

The other issue is 150 MPH vs 120 MPH. That extra 30 MPH is worth an extra $50 or so, and even more valuable... it helps drive a buying decision.

Tough to say. I saw a cluster with a tach that also came with a clock in case you wanted to swap them out. Asking price was $100 and it was gone before I could contact the guy. I've seen clusters with tachs listed on ebay for $300-$400 for months and months and months.

The other issue is 150 MPH vs 120 MPH. That extra 30 MPH is worth an extra $50 or so, and even more valuable... it helps drive a buying decision.
In Canada ralley dashes in geberal range from CDN$100 (USD$80) to CAD$150...radio punctured, sometimes an instrument not working. With Tach they are on the higher end of that scale.

Auto Transport Service
Back