• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

742 suregrip

wannadrag

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
This center came with the RR i just got and is completly taken apart.The small spider gears have teeth missing.Will the spiders from a 741 interchange with a 742?Is there a website with a diagram someplace so i can make sure the parts are all there and the correct way to assemble it?It has 4:10s in it so i'd like to try and save it.

The suregrip units between a 741 and a 742 are the same clutch style unit.

Ok,now will the spider gears from a open non suregrip fit in a suregrip?

Not trying to steal your thread, but I have a complete 4.10 posi (742 housing) third member for sale. If anyone is interested.

The suregrip units between a 741 and a 742 are the same clutch style unit.
That's true if someone didn't install a Cone type unit. So, wannadrag, which do you have? The cone unit is totally different from the plate unit but rrunner is right but this stuff is pretty old now and it's hard to find one that someone hasn't had their hands in at some point in time....

It is the type with the plates that splits sorta in the middle and has the spider gears.Looks like the plates are sorta concave.

That is a clutch style, and the spiders aren't the same as a open.
That's right. Broken or chipped spiders are common when the unit wears to the point it becomes a non working unit...ie, single track and people keep on nailing them working the crap out of the spiders. They are not made to take the abuse that a non limited slip unit is designed to take but even a non limited slip unit will give up after so much. I don't think I have any extras laying around but I'll take a look and if I have some, I'll post it.

Looks like Doctor diff has them but would rather go the used route if possible.

I have a few parts laying around for a cone unit but nothing for the clutch type....

Whats the difference?

I have a few parts laying around for a cone unit but nothing for the clutch type....
Whats the difference between cone and clutch type? I have mine out right now its a 742 case it has one small opening where you can see the spider gears and it has springs in it for the posi part. Does it still have clutches? It also doesnt have the little "buttons" in the middle for the axle thrust. It has a solid piece of steel that rides between the axles? Is that right? I took it out cause it was loud as hell and the ring and pinion is worn down the pinion gear has chips out of it and it looks like somebody had it set all wrong but its to late now. My buddy is gonna loan me his for now and his takes the "buttons" in between the axles. I guess Im more worried about what I actually have. Help!

Whats the difference between cone and clutch type? I have mine out right now its a 742 case it has one small opening where you can see the spider gears and it has springs in it for the posi part. Does it still have clutches? It also doesnt have the little "buttons" in the middle for the axle thrust. It has a solid piece of steel that rides between the axles? Is that right? I took it out cause it was loud as hell and the ring and pinion is worn down the pinion gear has chips out of it and it looks like somebody had it set all wrong but its to late now. My buddy is gonna loan me his for now and his takes the "buttons" in between the axles. I guess Im more worried about what I actually have. Help!

You would have a cone posi not the clutch posi. the cone posi has plates with springs that put presure on the axle gears to make it a posi.

The cone unit does not have plates unless you are talking about the spring plates and I call those spring seats....basically, it has cones and cups that do the locking....a set on each side of the springs. Yeah, the springs put pressure on them but they do not work by themselves. When the rear tries to 'differentiate' the springs rock over and places more pressure against the side gears which in turn pushes the 'cones' deeper into the cup...the cup being the case itself. It's machined to accept the cones. It's kinda like sticking two glasses together tightly. The PowerLock actually uses clutch plates that lock up when the unit differentiates...

Auto Transport Service
Back