• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75cc heads lowering the compression

Quick question for you. Depending on the gasket I decide to use, I'm looking at a compression ratio of 10:07.1 or 10:34.1. Which would you suggest. Also i will be using a comp cam xtreme energy 274/286 .488/.491

If you haven't already bought that cam I'd think about doing something else... Comp has had way more cam failures than I'm comfortable with....

10.07 will be more pump gas tolerant. A 274 isn't a real big cam. The XE series also is a little more prone to detonation because it closes the intake quickly building compression. If you had more cam I would do higher. I would not get lifters from comp. Imo...I don't think the cam quality is much different then others, we've had to returns cams cause of quality...just do a thorough inspection.

..try to get hy-lift Johnsons lifters. They are the best out there currently unless you come up with some older lifters. Comp was OK about 15+ years ago. The Johnsons aren't cheap..but better quality.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, it's a no brainer. If you were going for max power for a drag car, more compression makes sense. But the power difference between those two is negligible, and the higher comp might be on the verge of detonation (or worse). I would absolutely go with the lower of those two.... and probably lower it still more.
For a driver with a mild cam, I would shoot for mid nine, so you can run proper timing advance.

In my humble opinion, it's a no brainer. If you were going for max power for a drag car, more compression makes sense. But the power difference between those two is negligible, and the higher comp might be on the verge of detonation (or worse). I would absolutely go with the lower of those two.... and probably lower it still more.
For a driver with a mild cam, I would shoot for mid nine, so you can run proper timing advance.

He's running aluminum heads I think low 10's should be safe....

10.07 will be more pump gas tolerant. A 274 isn't a real big cam. The XE series also is a little more prone to detonation because it closes the intake quickly building compression. If you had more cam I would do higher. I would not get lifters from comp. Imo...I don't think the cam quality is much different then others, we've had to returns cams cause of quality...just do a thorough inspection.

..try to get hy-lift Johnsons lifters. They are the best out there currently unless you come up with some older lifters. Comp was OK about 15+ years ago. The Johnsons aren't cheap..but better quality.
I filled out Hughes 21 questions for cam advice. I ran across this cam. Any thoughts. Looks like Hughes is selling Hy-lift
2024BL11.jpg

It's a nice smaller cam.
.520 is about max with the Stamped. The Stamped steel rockers usually run less then 1.5 so you can go a little bigger. But longevity isn't good.
What rockers?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back