• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 1/4 Rear Gear Oil

Wedgeamacallit

Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
I have an unknown year 8 1/4 rear end and an unknown brand sure grip with a Richmond Gear. Not sure what weight oil I should run and I am not sure if this differential requires the limited slip additive. I have included the picture.
Thanks for the help.

8.25.jpg

I have been using Red Line gear oil for a long time. It already has friction modifiers in the oil, so I never had to add it.
I had used Amsoil back in the 1980's, but it was harder to get through their multi-tier marketing they had back then, and the Redline was a bit less expensive.
Started using the synthetic gear oil in my 4-wheel drive truck(s), because it seemed to be good for about an extra 1 MPG fuel economy.

Check out the web site:
75W-90: 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil
This is a new one 75W-110: 75W110 GL-5 Gear Oil
What I use in the 1-Ton Truck, 75W-140: 75W140 GL-5 Gear Oil
What I use in the 8-3/4" at the track, Lightweight shockproof: Lightweight ShockProof®

Last edited:
I have been using Red Line gear oil for a long time. It already has friction modifiers in the oil, so I never had to add it.
I had used Amsoil back in the 1980's, but it was harder to get through their multi-tier marketing they had back then, and the Redline was a bit less expensive.
Started using the synthetic gear oil in my 4-wheel drive truck(s), because it seemed to be good for about an extra 1 MPG fuel economy.

Check out the web site:
75W-90: 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil
This is a new one 75W-110: 75W110 GL-5 Gear Oil
What I use in the 1-Ton Truck, 75W-140: 75W140 GL-5 Gear Oil
What I use in the 8-3/4" at the track, Lightweight shockproof: Lightweight ShockProof®
Cool Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back