• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 axle chart - the good one Sticky please?

And it should be kept in mind that these charts should be used as a guide and are not gospel. The measurement tolerance is 1/4" and sometimes more. I've found several over the years that were within 1/2" in the length.....but the spring pads are usually much better.

1/4" or 1/2" tolerance? Sorry, I gotta call BS on that. If an axle was that far off, it wouldn't fit in the housing and if the housing was that far off the axle wouldn't fit.

If your measurement is that far off, you're misidentifying the part.

I think this is the correct one. If posted before, sorry

Rear chart.jpg

The list in post #2 is close to dead on, the only discrepancy that I've found is the 30" axle shaft. It lists a 30" axle and a 29 31/32" axle but there is only the 29 31/32" axle used on the C & E-body and truck. All even have the same part number. The error comes about because of the method of measuring.
Axle.PNG

As a Side note , the a-body 8 3/4 was a direct bolt in for the 66-67 Chevy Nova and wagon. Better than the 10 bolt and hence their attrition. Start looking under old Novas Ya.

Thank you, 'moparmarks'!

So, per moparmarks, here's what I'm looking at:

Rear end widths, drum-to-drum: '64 = 60 7/8" (Exc.Max Wedge)
Housing widths, flange to flange: '64 = 55 5/8" (Exc. Max Wedge)

Auto Transport Service
Back