• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 problem

Whitey

Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
I got a set of 3.31's put in my 741. Since then I have a noise. It sounds like a rattleing/rubbing, it kind of sounds like when you taped a playing card to your bike for the spokes to hit it. I have the limited slip addative in it. It doesn't sound like any bearing I've heard before.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

can you put the car up on stands and rotate the driveshaft while it is in nuetral.you might be able to hear the noise.or see if your pinion shaft is loose.i had the same noise in a 78 lebaron and ended up changing the center section "pig".had to do the same on my 74 RR.no more noise.

I took the car to the guy who set up the rear, after hearing the noise he said it was a cracked tooth.

A cracked tooth? Either he saw it when he installed it, or has x-ray vision. If it is on the ring gear, you can do somethings to it to quiet it down, but if it is cracked, I would simply suggest replacing it.

We have ground a tooth down before after it was dropped. Made a bunch of noise prior to doing so. Didn't hurt it, and unless your doing racing, it will be trouble and noise free due to the pinion is grabbing three teeth a time.

Auto Transport Service
Back