• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Rearend Setup Subject Matter Expert Question

Bluesky10

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
I bought a former street driven stripped out 1974 Satellite that had a blown Small-block in it and still had a 8 3/4 posi in it.
Blown 74 Plymouth (1).jpg
74 Summer 2023.jpg 74 Summer 2023 Pics (2).jpg74 Summer 2023 Pics (3).jpg20221226_150654.jpg

I bought this car to use as a parts car for my son's 74 Road Runner project. I have GM and Ford rearend experience, but no history with the MOPAR 8 3/4s. When we disassembled the rearend to overhaul and paint I discovered the standard endplay adjuster was not installed, but it had appeared the inboard axel ends had been machined to set the clearance and installed without the adjuster using Moser axel bearings with the O-ring as the seal.

Question:
1. Is this a standard practice to elevate the axel adjuster for hi-performance or racing applications?

2. Have you or someone you know ever done this before?

I numbered my questions to track them since I will most likely have more as I progress with the rearend assembly.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

I believe....
The o-ring indicates you probably have the non-adjustable "green" bearings, instead of the stock tapered bearing that require end-play adjustment.

It sounds like what you have are "Green bearings" this is normal and probably 70%+ of us here run them if we upgraded a axle.

The factory bearings are probably stronger for lateral loads but i have never heard of greens failing and they are much easier to work with (not that the stock ones are that hard)

33 IMP, Thank you for your info. So, I guess that means this is a stock set-up?
I had looked online and found nothing other than the adjustable style.

No they are not stock.
It's an adaptation of Ford ball bearing for people who don't want to set up tapered bearings.
Some say less friction for straight line.

@Bluesky10 ,
Check out Dr. Diff's site. Specializes in 8 3/4 and Dana 60, as well as 9"ford. He'll have any info or parts you need.
"Green" was the original manufacturer of the roller bearings, so that became the nickname.
(And some Mopar guys will give you grief for calling it a "posi". Get used to calling it a SureGrip.)

Not stock but zero reason to change it if that helps :)

I have to say, you guys are with the program. Thank you very much for the help. This is my son's first car. He passed over a nice 79 Z-28 I offered him. He liked the Road Runner body I had bought for my next project. I had a 74 in high school and my wife mentioned I should think about one for my next project. The only thing I did not know was they were made of Unobtanium and there are no real supply of re-pop sheetmetal, so I have had to but 3 parts cars so far.
Here is the Kidd with the car as I had it, and his 8 3/4 with his SureGrip:thumbsup:
The Kidd.jpg8.75 SureGrip (1).jpg8.75 SureGrip (2).jpg

I have to say, you guys are with the program. Thank you very much for the help. This is my son's first car. He passed over a nice 79 Z-28 I offered him. He liked the Road Runner body I had bought for my next project. I had a 74 in high school and my wife mentioned I should think about one for my next project. The only thing I did not know was they were made of Unobtanium and there are no real supply of re-pop sheetmetal, so I have had to but 3 parts cars so far.
Here is the Kidd with the car as I had it, and his 8 3/4 with his SureGrip:thumbsup:
View attachment 1641470View attachment 1641471View attachment 1641472
That is awesome you are doing that... and as for sheet metal, don't need repop... there are junkyards in the southwest that specialize in old cars and you an get good metal original parts if you look... the internet makes it easy :) My '62 is a 1 year only car and i have arizona fenders that look like they are brand new :)

BTW.. should also check facebook marketplace now and then.. you can have some good stuff pop up.. never know what you might find that you need.

Am I the only one thinking he should put everything in the green car?
It's already painted.

It's good to see. Congrats to you guys, he will remember this all his life.

Icetech, Don, and 1967coronet, Thank you for you feedback. I will start looking at marketplace daily. About the green car. I suggested that, but he was not willing to give up his Road Runner with the matching VIN, core support, and trunk seal well numbers. He is the one who said not to cut it up because it was to nice. I ended up buying a Goodmark floor pan that we will start installing this weekend. The Kidd is getting the car ready to put its weight on the wheels for the first time in over a year so it can help keep things true for the removal and install.

Currently I am trying to locate rear foot wells. There are some cheap looking stuff out there, but they want as much for those as I paid for the floor pan. For now I am going the attempt to piece together the other 2 parts cars foot wells. Hopefully we can make 1 set from the 2 cars. Unfortunlly they all rust out in about the same places.

Maybe I should start a thread here on FBBO for 73-74 Road Runner/Satellite parts and builds. It seems that not many are working on these cars at this time. Facebook has one, but after having to go thru all the listing without a search tool wore me down.

Either way, the Kidd and I will build on. If you would like, I can catch you up and keep you up to date on his build.

Yes, we are enjoying this build together. He has been a big help to me over the years in the shop when I needed a helping hand, and now it is my turn to help him with his own build memories. For a kid that wants to be a computer tech for a living, he is one sharp skilled mechanic. This kid has been a good wrench turner since he was as tall as a gas tank.
1712931976818.jpeg

Thank you for all you help.
Blueskys

Last edited:
My youngest is a natural.
He's gifted at building and smashing stuff.
1712933912385.png

1712933943252.png

Don, I am unsure if I should ask the story on the smashed one.
It is good seeing these young ones interested in these old cars. Maybe they will keep these old dogs in the hunt in the future.

Don, I am unsure if I should ask the story on the smashed one.
It is good seeing these young ones interested in these old cars. Maybe they will keep these old dogs in the hunt in the future.
That was a money car.
Started out as a 90 or 91 Buick Park Avenue.
Won 5 straight derby appearances - probably over $2,000 in winnings.
Finally lost on the 6th try running against full size finished 3rd.
I actually found a plug that had come loose and we started it to drive it on the trailer.
But the bottom was so bellied out we had to winch it on.
It was literally 1/2 it's original lenght in that picture.

Auto Transport Service
Back