• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 sure grip replacement

jusglazin

Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
What aftermarket units can I use to add positive traction to my open 742 ?

Detroit Locker, True Trac, Powertraxx, Lock Rite, Track Lock (sucks balls), Dana Power Lock, Auburn, spool.

I used a YUKON unit... working perfect. Also affordable.

the seller I got gave me the chance to choose how much "GRIPPED" I wanted. I went for an streetable version since my car is street, which uses just one convex disc by side. For more agressive, uses 2 by side

I reallt like true loc, and auburn gear myself.
I also stayed at a best western last night and that give me the benefit of knowing nothing more then just an opinion.
Mike

Detroit Locker, True Trac, Powertraxx, Lock Rite, Track Lock (sucks balls), Dana Power Lock, Auburn, spool.
i am in the research mode on getting one for my donated 489. care list those in preference, for a mild 440 , stock stall and thinking of running a 3.90 or 3.55.

My personal preference in a street car is the Dana Powerlock. It's virtually bulletproof, rebuildable and will acheive 100% lockup in a straight line. Not to mention they are proven with over 50 years of production.

i am in the research mode on getting one for my donated 489. care list those in preference, for a mild 440 , stock stall and thinking of running a 3.90 or 3.55.

I'm not sure if any specialty companies such as Moser might not make something in a 35 spline other than a spool. If not, I don't see why the side gears couldn't be bored and resplined and some matching clutches modified. I bet Dana 60 clutches would be close enough to do it. Something out there has to be. How much trouble can it really be?

Spend your money wisely, don't waste your time with anything but Dana. It is still made in the US not by a bunch of idiots from China!

- - - Updated - - -
Go to DTs and just get a new set of Spiders.

thx rusty....had something like bouncing around in my old head...just wanted to hear from someone else...lol

snakeoil...dana would be the first but gota fab moser housing w axles minus the pumpkin

The Dana Powerlock are the best, as the Chinese knock-off units are too wide and have fitment problems. The Powrer lock is proven reliable at higher power levels, and can be rebuilt if needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back