• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 swap from Chrysler

oldmanmopar

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
I have a 73 chrysler with a 8 3/4 rear. It has the rubber insulators. Will this rear swap into a 73-74 b-body? I know the early 70-72 C-body will fit a 71-71 B-body but not sure if this rear will swap into 73 74?

Last edited:
Yes it will, the clamp set up (B & Cbody) is the same 73-74 then the clamp setup changed again in 75 (though there were no 8.75's then) for different shock and sway bar mounting

PS the Cbody axle will be a slightly wider than the Bbody, oh and the spring perch width is the same between the two and the rear swaybar also fits between the two.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I do not believe the perch widths are the same. Perch widths for 71-74 B bodies are 47.3". For a 73 C body they are 46". Drum to drum widths are 63" for B's and 64 3/8" for C's. The wheels will be about 1/2" further out on each side, but that's tough to notice.

You would need to cut off the old perches and have new ones welded on about .65" further out on each side.

Perhaps I was thinking either a 74C or a 73-74 BBwagon

I know I had one that measured 47.3 perch and 59 7/16 with the ISO spring mounts. and I just sold it a few weeks ago to a guy for his car.

I still have one for a 73B with swaybar

I had the car on the lift today for another member . The insulators are not part of the housing as I thought. I have a 70 c-body rear housing that fits a 71 72 b-body same width. next time its in the shop I'll remove the wheels and measure the 73 . Lazy me today . I have cars here I just thought someone used one in a swap . I will let you know if there is a difference next time my son brings it in.

Auto Transport Service
Back