• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75 open differental to suregrip, what did I miss.

Fran Blacker

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
Have 1966 Satellite 8.75 diff. with an open rear 742 housing. Had a 489 housing freshly setup with 4.10 gears an a clutch type sure grip. Put the 489 in and put in right axle didn't go in all the way but could put nuts on flange. Backed of adjuster until it had an 1/8" of thread showing, it won't go much more. Went to bolt flange down but when it was getting tight there was an 1/8" space between backing plate and axle flange. (Glad I wasn't using air tools) Pulled the axle out and measured end of axle to flange 26.5". Then took a piece of straight tubing and measured thrust button to flange 26.25".( These are approx. measurements it's obvious there's a problem.) The sure grip came out of a 742 housing. Should I have put an Auburn unit in? (spring type?) ARG!!! HELP!

Fran B.

I know the earlier open diffs used a smaller thrust block than the sure grip. So when you went from an open to a SG you had to use the shorter axels for a SG. They're about a 1/16" shorter.
I'm going to have that problem with my '62 when I go to swap out my open gear.
(Need to find the axel chart again)

I have interchanged between those two units myself without any issue. But I never really checked how far the axle goes into the side gears though. how much engagement do you have?

on 62-64 cars with the castle nut style axles you had shorter axles for suregrip unit. Not so on the 65 and up style axles. If the suregrip unit is a Clutch type unit it should have the thrust buttons in it that are a two piece design with a pin that holds them together for the axle end play adjustment. I would check to make sure that is in correctly for one thing. If you have "Green" non adjustable style axle bearings you are supposed to remove the thrust button in the suregrip unit. I also believe some of the clutch type suregrip units had two piece axle gears so make sure those are lined up so the axle will go all the way in. Helped my brother not long ago with a 9" ford and like to never got the axle gears lined up so the axle would go all the way in. That should give you a few things to look into.
Best of luck, Matt

Really don't know 1"? khryslerkid's answer sounds right. I'll google axle lengths. Have another 8.75 in a car in my yard but be a b-tch to pull the axle out . Then cutting it and maybe both need to be cut?

Really don't know 1"? khryslerkid's answer sounds right. I'll google axle lengths. Have another 8.75 in a car in my yard but be a b-tch to pull the axle out . Then cutting it and maybe both need to be cut?

That should only apply to 1964 and earlier!

Check out what Matt said about your gears lining up so the axel goes in all the way. Back off the adjuster and push, turn, ect, and see if it goes in a bit farther.

Matt thanks will check that out. Wonder if it's possible without pulling sure grip apart but don't think so. Worked with Dana 60's before. What got this **** started was selling a Dana and putting the original 8.75 back in.

Matt thanks will check that out. Wonder if it's possible without pulling sure grip apart but don't think so. Worked with Dana 60's before. What got this **** started was selling a Dana and putting the original 8.75 back in.
You might take a flash light and look down the tube to see if the axle gears are lined up without pulling it apart. Are you only having trouble with one axle? or Both?
Matt

I'm going to look up through the tube to see if splines line up. Never had it apart so did think to check. DUMB! Going to put in left axle tomorrow for a test fit. Did some g search and all said no problem to interchange. I'm leaning to the spline not aligned. Over the weekend I'll look it over more. Guys thanks for the input. Will be looking for other ideas.

Last edited:
That's the one thing I checked before having it setup.
Thanks

Couldn't see splines on side gears. Left axle same as right wouldn't go in any further. Good thing I didn't put rear in car.

No, rear never raced and no sticky tires. I asked in racer forum because they do more switching parts. Will pull chuck out Saturday. Repairing damage from a dam bear that broke a 10' board that held clothes line where I mount our bird feeder. Climbed the tree and fell 10' when the board broke hope his *** hurt. He earn his meal.

Last edited:
No, rear never raced and no sticky tires. I asked in racer forum because they do more switching parts. Will pull chuck out Saturday. Repairing damage from a dam bear that broke a 10' board that held clothes line where I mount our bird feeder. Climbed the tree and fell 10' when the board broke hope his *** hurt. He earned his meal.

Mattsmopars nailed. Right side gear isn't lined up left ok. I'm running into the side gear splines head on. CRAP !!!
Going to try to move the seat of side gear to line up with side gear splines, without screwing something up. Going to put 3rd member on a cardboard on floor with a large pipe wrench on yoke or a 1/2" pipe 4' long through yoke to hold it. How to turn axle a little is the question? A little turn then check. Really don't want to pull out sure grip. any ideas?

Use two old axle stubs and two pipe wrenches,I believe the sure grip will release at 160lbs pressure.Be gentle,you dont have to move it much

Use two old axle stubs and two pipe wrenches,I believe the sure grip will release at 160lbs pressure.Be gentle,you dont have to move it much
Don't easily access to extra axles. I have a parts car in the woods but I'm very unsteady on my feet. Have a medical condition and can't feel my feet. Walking on uneven ground is hazardous . Thanks for the advice.

Sorry to hear that,If I wasn't 600 miles away,I'd gladly help.Hey guys, anybody local to Conn. got a crappy pair of 8 3/4 axles they could lend a brother in need?

Auto Transport Service
Back