• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

833 4 spd and shifter ID????

66 Charger

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
I recently came across a 833 4 spd and I am trying to identify what and where it might have come from...

I also am not sure of what type of shifter this is. If you have any input it is appreciated..There is just a patten # (3216274 3306126) on the face plate no name....There is also the # 8327 stamped on the plate...

#'s are

2 C99621
0A106274
PP8332897-0183

Thanks,

Lou

833 shifter.jpg

100_1784.jpg

100_1785.jpg

The shifter looks to be a Hurst, and the shift rods look to be from a B-Body. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in on the tranny.

The pics don't show everything, but from what I can see it looks to be an early B-Body (64-67).

833's with only the shifter mounting point in your pic are for the early cars. If it's got a shifter mount back by the tailshaft it's for a later 68+ B Body. I've seen them with both and I don't know the exact details on those.

If you can see the casting number that's the best thing to do. Check it here: http://www.mymopar.com/bellhousingcastnumb.htm

70 -up A833 trans have the 2 shifter mounts on the tailshaft. So that they can be used in the B and E car lines. The 69 and back just have one shifter location on the tailshaft as there were no E-body car line and they were just B-body trans. It looks to have a partial VIN from what you have posted for a 1970 year model of 0A106274 and I believe that is a lynch road assembly plant car. It is hard for me to tell from the pictures, but it does not look to have the 2 shifter mounts on the tailshaft and if it does not the tailshaft has been changed out at some point or another. It does have a hurst "bolt in" style shifter box on it with B-body linkage. Hope ths helps you. The 64 and back have a bolt on drive shaft and 65 up are slip yoke trans. Matt

Last edited:
Full view 833

Here is a full view of the 833...

Thank you for your help...

Lou

Full view 833.jpg

833 eye dee

July 3 rd 1969 build date, looks like large bearing , 308, so a bigblock trans, but with a 69 extension housing. But I think 70 B bodies would come that way compared to a 70 E body. The very early 70 model year production if it was in a 70 car.

Looks to be a 23 spline trans. Still think by the partial VIN you posted it is out of a 70 year model car"0A106274". I would bet the tailshaft has been changed out at some point or the other. The reverse lever should also be pointing up and not down like it is. It hard to so what people have done or changed on these 4 speeds over the years, may be one that has been assembled out of several trans. Matt

July 3 rd 1969 build date, looks like large bearing , 308, so a bigblock trans, but with a 69 extension housing. But I think 70 B bodies would come that way compared to a 70 E body. The very early 70 model year production if it was in a 70 car.

I haven't gone thru it yet to see if its ok but after a rebuild I was going to see if I could use it in my 66 charger...

Thanks,

Lou

Auto Transport Service
Back